Advising Definitions and Terms

academic advisor - An academic advisor assists students with selecting courses appropriate to their intended program of study. Advisors also provide guidance regarding course load, academic progress, majors, minors, careers, and many other topics. There are academic advisors in the University Advisement department and in many other offices around campus, such as CASA (College of Arts and Sciences Advisement), Student-Athlete Services, Academic Support Programs, and others. Some academic departments have at least one faculty or staff member who serves as the designated advisor for students pursuing the major or majors offered by that department. Other departments have faculty mentors who work with students.  Every student at Baylor has an assigned advisor, and students in certain majors or programs may have more than one assigned advisor.  Students may view their current academic advising requirements each semester in BearWeb. 

academic probation - If a student's semester GPA is below 2.0 on a 4.0 scale, the Dean will place that student on academic probation during the upcoming term. If at the end of the first probation term the student's semester GPA is again below a 2.0, the student may be subject to suspension. A student on academic probation is encouraged to seek counseling regarding course load, course selection, and other academic assistance from the Dean's office and from the Paul L. Foster Success Center.

academic warning - an academic warning may be reported beginning the sixth week of the semester to a student with low grades, missing tests or assignments, and/or irregular class attendance.  Warnings are assigned by the instructor in order to alert the student that his or her academic performance is substandard.  A student who receives one or more warnings should initiate actions to improve performance.  Resources and academic support are available at university and departmental levels.

add/drop - A student may wish to change his or her schedule of courses by adding a new course and/or dropping an enrolled course. Even changing from one section to another of the same course in order to have a different instructor or a different time of day is considered an "add/drop." Beginning the 8th class day (fall or spring) a $40 fee is assessed for all schedule changes and all changes must be processed in the Office of the Registrar rather than via Bear Web.

advanced-level course - Advanced or upper-level courses are 3000-level (junior level) or 4000-level (senior level) courses. A minimum of 36 semester hours of advanced coursework is required for all bachelor's degrees at Baylor.

AP - Advanced Placement courses (through the College Board) are advanced-level courses available at many high schools. An exam is offered at the conclusion of an AP course and the resulting score may qualify a student for college credit.  Advanced Placement scores and all other credit by exam is handled at Baylor by the Office of Institutional Research and Testing. 

attendance policy - Specific policies for class attendance are established by each of the academic units within the university.  University instructors may have their own individual policies regarding class attendance, punctuality, and participation as well. Students are encouraged to make sure they have a clear understanding of such policies in each class they take.

auditing a course - This is a method of enrollment for a course whereby the student does not earn academic credit.  Students who are enrolled for fewer than 12 hours pay a small fraction of the current per-semester-hour tuition rate to audit a course, but there is no additional cost to students registered for 12 or more hours. Written permission of the appropriate dean is required.  Courses taken for audit may not be repeated later for credit, may not be changed in status after the registration period, and are not considered part of the course load. 

basic degree requirements - Every degree includes a series of basic general courses such as English, math, lab science, fine arts, etc. These courses must be completed in addition to the course requirements in the area of the major and they are generally completed early in the college career.

Baylor ID - This is a photo identification card issued to all Baylor students, faculty, and staff and which allows access to various university services and activities.

BearID - Each student, faculty, and staff member is assigned this identification for use on the computer so he or she can access various resources such as electronic mail and computing laboratories. A BearID must be activated with a password.

BearWeb - Baylor's umbrella for student services options on the World Wide Web. Registration, Drop/Adds, Grades, Meal Plans, BearBucks, Degree Audits, Vehicle Registration, Class Schedules, Registration Holds, Registration Status, PIN Update, Detailed Student Schedule, Unofficial Baylor Transcript and more are available on BearWeb.

Back to the top

BIC - The Baylor Interdisciplinary Core is an alternative core curriculum that meets students' general studies requirements. BIC offers its students an interdisciplinary curriculum of course sequences that replaces traditional courses in the humanities, fine arts, social sciences, and physical sciences.

BU 1000 - Baylor has in recent years developed a New Student Experience course called BU 1000, which is made up of intentionally guided small groups of new transfer students which meet weekly during the first six weeks of the fall semester.  BU 1000 provides new transfer students with an opportunity to make key connections to the university within the first few weeks of arrival on campus.  Each BU 1000 group (no more than 18-20 students) is led by a faculty or staff facilitator.  The curriculum is designed to introduce a different theme each week that challenges students to think about and discuss the academic, spiritual, and relational dimensions of their life within the broader context of the mission of Baylor University. 

cancellation - A cancellation occurs when a student decides not to attend classes for a semester prior to the first day of classes for that semester. This is different from a "withdrawal." Such cancellations and related refund requests are handled by the Cashier's Office.

catalog - The Undergraduate Catalog is an annual publication that provides descriptions of university programs, degrees, majors, minors, individual courses, and academic policies and procedures. It also includes an academic calendar, the university mission statement, and a great deal of other information. Each new undergraduate student should receive one complimentary copy of the catalog and it is available on the Baylor website as well.

Chapel - Chapel is a 2-semester requirement for an entering freshman and for a student who transfers to Baylor from another institution and who is classified by Baylor at the time of transfer as either a freshman or sophomore. It is a 1-semester requirement for a student who transfers to Baylor from another institution and who is classified by Baylor at the time of transfer as either a junior or senior. Chapel provides an opportunity for students and faculty to gather on Mondays and Wednesdays at 9:05, 10:10, or 11:15 a.m. as assigned in Waco Hall to hear from people who excel at what they do as an expression of their commitment to Christ. Chapel is graded on a credit/no credit basis. In addition, new freshmen also attend either University 1000, a small group component of Chapel, or a similar credit-bearing new student experience course during their first semester at Baylor. Each small group has a faculty or staff facilitator. New transfer students attend either a similar small group session called BU 1000 or a similar credit-bearing new student experience course.

Chapel alternatives - Students who have completed one semester of traditional Chapel may petition through the Office of Spiritual Life to fulfill their second semester requirement through one of the following alternatives, usually either prayer services or small group experiences: Vespers at the Spiritual Life Center, Christian formation practices (small group), evening or morning prayer (in several locations), Discernment Groups, or university mission trips.  These alternatives may differ slightly from one semeter to the next and they each require a different level of engagement than does traditional Chapel attendance.

classification - An undergraduate student who has completed fewer than 30 semester hours is classified as a freshman, a student with 30-59 hours is a sophomore, a student with 60-89 hours is a junior, and a student with at least 90 completed hours is a senior. Only completed hours and not hours currently in progress are used to determine a student's current classification.  All completed hours on record at Baylor, whether earned at Baylor or elsewhere, are used to determine classification. 

CLEP - The College Level Examination Program offers tests by subject that allow students to qualify for college credit (for example, a score of 54 on the CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics test qualifies for ECO 2307 credit at Baylor.)  Unlike AP exams and SAT II exams, CLEP tests may be taken after the student matriculates at Baylor.  CLEP tests and all other credit by exam are handled at Baylor by the Office of Institutional Research and Testing. 

closed class - A course that is closed, or "full", has reached the maximum enrollment set by the department offering the course. A student may elect to contact the class instructor or the department to seek special permission to enroll in a course which has closed. The department may or may not then consent to approve and issue an "enrollment capacity override."

correspondence course - This is a type of course offering designed to accommodate non-resident Baylor students by allowing them to complete the requirements of a course without attending class. A list of courses currently offered through correspondence can be found on the Baylor website. A student must petition the Dean to request permission to register for a correspondence course.

Course Listings - Recently renamed "Schedule of Classes," this is a comprehensive, real-time listing posted on the Baylor website each semester outlining course offerings for that particular semester. Important details such as course description, day, time, and location of courses, instructor, maximum class size, any applicable section restrictions, wait list information, and current seat availability are included.

course numbering system - In addition to a 2, 3, or 4-character prefix, each Baylor course has a 4-digit number. The first digit specifies the level (1 is a freshman course, 2 is a sophomore course, 3 is a junior course, 4 is a senior course, 5 is a graduate course, etc.) The second digit specifies the number of semester hours of credit assigned to the course. The last two digits are reserved for departmental use in indicating course sequences.

credit by exam - Credit can be earned for a course by taking any of several examinations that test for the content of that course. Individual academic departments select the exams they will accept and they set levels of performance required for credit. Baylor accepts certain Advanced Placement (AP) exam results, certain CLEP subject exam results, certain SAT II scores, some International Baccalaureate (IB) results, and various departmental exam scores. Semester hours of credit are awarded through credit-by-exam, but a letter grade is not assigned. The Office of Institutional Research & Testing oversees this program at Baylor.

credit/no credit - This is a system of grading which does not assign a letter grade upon completion of a course. Semester hours are earned, where appropriate, but no grade points.

dean (academic) - Each academic unit (for example, the School of Business, the School of Music, the College of Arts & Sciences, etc.) has a dean who oversees the operation of that unit. In the normal chain of command each professor reports to the chair of his or her department and the chair of each department reports to the dean of that school or college. The dean usually makes the final decisions regarding many academic matters in his or her unit.

Dean's List - The Dean's Academic Honor List is a list issued by the Executive Vice President and Provost each semester recognizing students who earn a grade point average of at least 3.70 for that term. They must earn no grade lower than a "C" while registered for a minimum of twelve semester hours of regularly graded courses in a semester (including the summer session.)

degree - The undergraduate degrees offered at Baylor include the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Business Administration, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Science in Aviation Sciences, Bachelor of Science in Family and Consumer Sciences, Bachelor of Science in Education, Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Bachelor of Science in Informatics, Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Bachelor of Music, Bachelor of Music Education, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, and Bachelor of Social Work.

Back to the top

degree audit - A degree audit is an electronic evaluation of a student's academic progress that displays the completed coursework, courses in progress, and the coursework remaining in order to fulfill the chosen degree requirements. Final grades earned in courses are also included. Once official credit-by-exam results or official transcripts showing transfer work have been received by Baylor, this credit also appears on the degree audit. Students are encouraged to become familiar with and review their degree audits periodically either on BearWeb or by obtaining a printed copy from Academic Records, from University Advisement, or from the College of Arts and Sciences Advisement (CASA) Office.

double major - A student may choose to complete the requirements for two separate majors or he or she may be pursuing a specific major which requires the completion of a second major. Baylor offers several academic programs (Environmental Studies, for example) that require the completion all the coursework for two majors in addition to the basic degree requirements.  Generally, if a student chooses to pursue more than one major, both majors must be within the same degree program (Bachelor of Arts, for example).  However, an exception to this policy is now possible with the recent development of secondary majors.  (See "Secondary Major" below.) 

drop - Sometimes a student may choose to drop, or withdraw officially, from a class in which he or she is enrolled. This process must be completed by the student through BearWeb, or by the Registrar, or by an academic advisor. Students who decide to no longer attend a class must officially "drop" the class in order to avoid being assigned a failing grade (based on absences) at the end of the term. Beginning with the 12th class day (fall and spring) a $40 fee is assessed for all schedule changes and they must be processed in person in the Office of the Registrar rather than through BearWeb.

dual credit - Some students entering Baylor have completed college-level coursework while they were still enrolled in high school and which was recognized for credit by both the high school and a local community college or university. This coursework can then be transferred for credit to Baylor directly from the community college or other university if Baylor offers an equivalent course.

early registration - Currently enrolled students are given the opportunity to register for classes for the subsequent semester during the current term. For example, during the fall semester students will meet with an advisor, select classes for the following spring term, and then they will register for those classes while the fall term is still underway. Each student is assigned a specific day to register based on classification. Seniors register before juniors, for example, and juniors register before sophomores, and so forth. Completed hours and hours currently in progress are counted to determine a student's classification.

elective - An elective is a course selected from an academic area of interest but which is not needed to fulfill a basic degree requirement for the major. Sometimes a course completed at another school that does not have an exact match to a course offered at Baylor ends up counting as an elective. Certain degrees may allow for or even require either a set number or in some cases an unspecified number of elective courses, while other degrees do not allow room for any elective credits.

ELG - Engaged Learning Groups are a relatively new offering for a residential learning experience open to first-year students each fall. In an ELG, 25-40 students live together in the same residence hall and take certain courses together. Some ELG courses are comprised of 1-hour seminars for three semesters leading to 3 hours of degree credit.  A challenging issue is studied from interdisciplinary perspectives and the program provides co-curricular activities, sustained interaction with faculty members, and engaging assignments. In order to participate in an ELG students must apply for acceptance online or during Orientation.

English placement exam - This essay is required for freshman students who do not meet the minimum verbal subscore of 20 on the ACT or 500 on the SAT required to enroll in ENG 1302. Some incoming transfer students might also be required to take this exam, but if credit-by-exam or transfer/dual credit has been earned for ENG 1302 then the student is not required to take the exam. This exam is administered in the English department.

FERPA - This is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, also known as the Buckley Amendment. It is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student educational records. The law gives parents certain rights with respect to their children's education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level.  

full time status - An undergraduate student enrolled for a minimum of 12 semester hours during a fall or spring term is considered to be "full-time."

Back to the top

grade point average - The GPA is the average of all a student's earned grades. Each letter grade is assigned a certain number of grade points. The number of points multiplied by the number of semester hours a course is worth gives the grade points earned for that course. The total number of grade points divided by the total number of semester hours gives the grade point average. For example, a grade of "A" is assigned 4 grade points, so if a student earns an "A" in a 3-hour English course, then he has earned 12 grade points. Then 12 points divided by 3 hours gives him a grade point average of 4.0. A student's cumulative and major GPA is displayed on his or her degree audit on Bear Web. A tool to help calculate GPA is available on the Baylor website.

grade report - A grade report is an end-of-semester report showing the grades earned in each class. This report is available through Bear Web. A student may submit a written request to the Office of the Registrar if he or she wishes to receive a copy of the grade report.

grading scale - In the Summer of 2014 Baylor adopted a new grading scale which includes minus grade options (A-, B-, C-, and D-) for undergraduate courses.  Since the late 1970s the grading scale has included grades of B+ and C+.  The stated goals of this most recent change are to lead to consistent grades and grade point values between undergraduate, graduate, and seminary courses and to bring Baylor more in line with the grading scales of other universities as well as provide faculty with additional flexibility in the grades the record for students.  The grade point average (gpa) is calculated by totaling the number of grade points earned and dividing by the number of credits applied toward the gpa.  The current grading scale can be viewed in detail in the Catalog and on the Registrar's website.

HP - Human Performance, or HP, was the previous name for physical education, or PE, courses. The current name and prefix for these courses is Lifetime Fitness, or LF.  Each activity LF course is one semester hour of credit. See the Undergraduate Catalog for policies regarding Lifetime Fitness credit such as a list of LF courses, approved substitutions for LF credit, and exemptions from Lifetime Fitness.

IB - The International Baccalaureate (IB) program offers an internationally recognized curriculum and corresponding subject exams, and is available to students in participating secondary schools in the U.S. and abroad.  Baylor accepts scores in a number of higher-level and standard-level IB subject exams and will award students college credit based on these exam results.  This and all other credit by examination is handled by the Institutional Research and Testing Office at Baylor. 

interuniversity program - Baylor offers several cooperative or affiliate programs (architecture, for example) between Baylor and other universities or professional schools. A student pursuing one of these programs will complete not only certain prerequisite courses in residence at Baylor but also a specified number of courses at the other school after that - usually a minimum of thirty semester hours. Upon successful completion of all requirements, Baylor then confers the bachelor's degree.

intrauniversity program - Baylor offers several majors and minors which combine coursework from two or more departments within the university. A few examples are American Studies, International Studies, the Medical Humanities minor, and the Gender Studies minor.

language placement exam - The Modern Language Placement Exam (MLPE), a computerized exam, is designed for students who wish to enroll in a Spanish, French, or German language course for the first time but who have previous experience in that foreign language. This exam is not used for purposes of granting course credit but strictly for determining the appropriate level at which a student should be placed. Students who present credit-by-exam or transfer/dual credit in the language are not required to take the placement exam.  Students may register for the first level of a modern or classical language without taking a placement exam.  However, students with 2 or more years of high school coursework or living experience in French, German, or Spanish are encouraged to take the placement exam to see if they can begin in a higher level.

LF - Lifetime Fitness is Baylor's name for physical education, or PE, courses.  Each activity LF course is one semester hour of credit. See the Undergraduate Catalog for policies regarding LF credit such as a list of LF courses, approved substitutions for LF credit, and exemptions from Lifetime Fitness.

MAPs - These Major Academic Planners, or MAPs, are available now for nearly every major offered at Baylor. A MAP provides a semester-by-semester suggested sequence of all courses required for a particular major. Specific courses for the major and courses required to fulfill basic degree requirements are all included.

math placement exam - The MPE, as it is sometimes called, is a placement exam for students who need to take either MTH 1320, Pre-Calculus, or MTH 1321, Calculus I for their major or program. A score between 20-39 qualifies students for MTH 1320, a score of 40-51 qualifies a student for MTH 1321, and 52 or higher qualifies students for the Honors section of MTH 1321. Students who score at least 650 on the SAT1 math or at least 31 on the ACT math may enroll in either MTH 1320 or MTH 1321 without having to take the math placement exam. Students who score at least 550 on the SAT1 math or at least 24 on the ACT math may enroll in MTH 1320 without having to take the placement exam, although they must take the exam if they wish to qualify for MTH 1321 (which the Math Department encourages.) This exam is administered by the Math Department.

minimester - After the end of the spring semester and before the beginning of the regular summer school term Baylor offers a minimester, which is a two and a half to three-week term.  A student may earn credit for one three-hour course during this term.  The courses usually meet for three hours each day, Monday through Friday.  A variety of undergraduate and graduate-level courses (33 total courses) were offered during the 2014 minimester.  Baylor offered minimester courses for the first time in 2008. 

minor - Some students choose to add a minor to their program of study, although taking a minor is not required for most bachelor's degree plans. A minor is a group of specified courses consisting of a minimum of 18 hours in an academic field. Some students pursue more than one minor along with their major. Minors are not associated with any particular degree, so, unlike two majors, a minor can be compatible with a major even if the two areas are offered in different schools or colleges. For example, a marketing major with a political science minor is an acceptable combination even though marketing is offered by the School of Business and political science is offered in the College of Arts & Sciences.

override - Override is the new name for permits and waivers.  A student may be granted an enrollment capacity override, which allows enrollment in a specific section of a course that is full.  A prerequisite override would be issued in order to override a course prerequisite, a course co-requisite, classification, field of study, or degree restrictions for all sections of a course.  A special approval override would be issued fpr a specific section of a course which required departmental approval, instructor approval or advisor approval.  A time conflict override could be issued in the event that the times for two desired courses overlap slightly. 

pass/fail - With the written permission of the Dean, a student who has earned a "C" average on a minimum of 16 hours may choose one course per semester to be graded on a pass-fail basis. Such courses may be used for elective credit only and a student can take no more than 18 hours of coursework as pass-fail within a four-year program.  No course in a student's major or minor field may be taken on a pass-fail basis even if the requirements in the major field have been fulfilled.  Students in the Business School may not register for any coursework as pass-fail. 

permit - Previously a student could request a "closed class permit", or special permission, to enroll in a course that had already filled. These permits are now called overrides.  (See "override" above.)  The student must contact either the department where the course is offered or the individual instructor of the desired section to request an enrollment capacity override.  The Business School has an online request form students must use to request an override for any course offered by the Business School.

petition - If a student wishes to make a special request that must be reviewed by the Office of the Dean or by an academic department then he or she may submit a petition. For example, students may submit petitions to have one course substitute for another as a degree requirement. Students may petition to drop or add courses to their schedules if the deadline to do so has passed. There are a variety of situations when it becomes necessary to petition the Dean for special permission or approval.

pre-law - If a student is planning to eventually apply to law school then the pre-law designation could be shown on his or her record. Pre-law is not a major and no special coursework must be completed. It is merely a category of students who are preparing to attend law school. Pre-law can be added to the record of any student regardless of the major he or she is pursuing. A faculty member in the Political Science department currently serves as a "pre-law advisor", which means he can offer advice and general guidance about choice of major, the LSAT (Law School Admission Test), law school admission, and other issues related to law school preparation.

pre-med - If a student is planning to eventually apply to medical school then the pre-med designation could be shown on his or her record. Pre-med is not a major but a track students may follow. A student may pursue any major and/or minor and be declared as a pre-med student. Medical schools require that certain courses be completed before taking the MCAT (Medical College Admission Test) or before entering medical school. If these courses are not required for the major a student is pursuing then he or she will need to complete them in addition to those required for the major and degree. Pre-healthcare advisors are available for each of the healthcare fields such as pre-med, pre-dent, pre-vet, pre-pharmacy, and many others.

pre-professional track - Many Baylor students are pursuing programs designed to meet the prerequisites for professional school and prepare students for professional school curricula (for example, pre-med.)

prerequisite - This is a course or courses that must be completed as a condition for taking another course. Not all courses have prerequisites. Certain courses may require consent of the instructor or upper-level standing as a prerequisite rather than another specific course. All prerequisites for a course can be found in the course descriptions in the back of the Undergraduate Catalog.

repeat - A student may choose to or be required to retake a class he or she has already completed in order to earn a higher grade. In order for the grade earned the second time to replace the first grade, the course must be exactly the same and it must be repeated at Baylor. A student may not repeat the course at another school because Baylor will not accept it as transfer credit once the course has been completed here. A course can be repeated if the grade earned was "D" or "F" but special permission must be granted to repeat a course in which the grade earned was "C." The grade received the last time the course is taken is the only grade that is calculated into the student's GPA.

residence requirement - In most instances a minimum of sixty semester hours must be earned in residence (here at Baylor) in order to earn a bachelor's degree. This includes the last thirty hours of the degree. A specified minimum number of hours in the major and minor must also be earned in residence.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) - The Higher Education Act of 1965 mandates that institutions of higher education monitor the academic progress of students who receive federal financial aid.  Baylor has established minimum standards to be eligible for and continue to receive federal financial aid.  SAP is reviewed at the end of each enrollment term.  The pace at which a student is completing hours and the cumulative grade point average are both considered in this review.  A detailed explanation of the policy is provided on the Student Financial Services website.

Schedule of Classes - Previously named "Course Listings," this is a comprehensive, real-time listing posted on the Baylor website each semester outlining course offerings for that particular semester. Important details such as course description, day, time, and location of courses, instructor, maximum class size, any applicable section restrictions, and current seat availability are included.

second degree - Students may qualify for a second, and different, bachelor's degree from Baylor by completing a minimum of thrity semester hours (sixty hours if the first degree was obtained elsewhere) after the first degree has been awarded.  These hours must include all major requirements pertaining to the second degree that were not included in the first degree program.  All courses must be completed in residence.  The major for the second degree must differ from the first and must include at least twelve hours of additional 3000 or 4000 level courses.

secondary major - Baylor's recently developed secondary majors offer students the opportunity to earn a baccalaureate degree in one program supplemented by a rich intellectual experience in a second field of specialization.  A secondary major allows a student pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree or a Bachelor of Business Administration, for example, to earn a secondary major that would normally be offered only under a Bachelor of Arts degree.  Not all departments currently offer secondary majors but a number of departments do participate in this program.  The Undergraduate Catalog includes detailed information regarding each secondary major offered.

semester hour - The semester hour is the measure of credit at Baylor and many other universities and colleges.  It is the amount of credit given for the successful completion of three clock hours of class work per week for one semester.  Consequently, a class that meets one hour daily, three days per week for fifteen weeks carries credit for three semester hours.  Generally, three hours of laboratory or practicum are rated as one semester hour.  The credit hours for a given course are indicated by the second digit of the course number.  The letter "V" in this position indicates that the course can be taken for a varying number of credit hours. 

study abroad - Baylor offers exchange programs with other universities out of country for one semester or one academic year for individual students and for groups of students, and study trips abroad are available in the summer for groups of students. If a student participates through a Baylor approved program, then residence credit, financial aid, and GPA policies all apply; if the program is offered through another university, then the courses are considered transfer credit and all transfer policies apply. Contact International Student and Scholar Services for more information or see the Baylor website for a list of current programs.

Supplemental Instruction - SI is an academic enrichment program which targets historically challenging courses. Trained peer-leaders facilitate regular weekly study sessions for students enrolled in each class that offers SI. These informal learning sessions give students an opportunity to refine lecture notes, discuss readings, practice problem-solving, and better predict test items. These sessions are NOT the same as tutoring. The list of courses that offer SI changes each semester but normally between one and two dozen courses offer SI every semester.

suspension - A student may be suspended from the university for various reasons such as academic or disciplinary reasons. Academic suspension occurs when the student has failed to maintain the GPA required to remain in good standing. The Dean will inform each student who is on probation or in danger of being suspended. A student may be suspended from the university for a semester or for a longer period of time but the Dean will indicate at what point the student may apply for reinstatement. During the suspension period a student is not allowed to enroll in any coursework or participate in any official activities.

syllabus - This document produced and distributed by the instructor provides information about a class and usually includes course description, goals and objectives, reading assignments and due dates, exam dates, an outline including course requirements and evaluation or grade criteria. A syllabus will usually include the instructor's contact information as well.

transcript - An official or unofficial transcript is a chronological record of a student's academic work. This document, which is maintained and updated by the Office of the Registrar, includes courses completed, grades earned, and GPA.

transfer credit - College coursework a student completes at another institution may sometimes be transferred to Baylor for credit. The student must have earned at least a "C" in the course to be transferred to Baylor and it must be a class for which Baylor offers an equivalent course. The hours of credit are transferred in but grades earned at other institutions are not calculated into the Baylor GPA. Once a student enters Baylor he or she can transfer back in a maximum of 15 semester hours. A "transfer student" is one who is coming to Baylor as a new student with approximately 24-30 or more hours of earned credit at another institution, usually completed after the student graduated from high school.

University 1000 - Baylor has in recent years developed a New Student Experience course called UNIV 1000 which is made up of intentionally guided small groups of new freshman students and which meets weekly during the first six weeks of the fall semester.  UNIV 1000 provides new freshman students with an opportunity to to make key connections to the university within the first few weeks of arrival on campus.  Each UNIV 1000 group (no more than 18-20 students) is led by a faculty or staff facilitator.  The curriculum is designed to introduce a different theme each week that challenges students to think about and discuss the academic, spiritual, and relational dimensions of their life within the broader context of the mission of Baylor University. 

waiver - Previously called prerequisite "waivers", prerequisite overrides and/or special approval overrides may be granted by a department head or an instructor in order to allow a student to enroll in a course without having to complete the stated prerequisites.

withdrawal - A withdrawal occurs when a student decides to leave the university after classes have begun for the semester. Withdrawals and related refund requests must be made through the Paul L. Foster Success Center. A withdrawal is different from a "cancellation."

Back to the top