Section 3: The Authorized User

A. Application Requirement

  • Any person who wishes to use ionizing radiation on the University campus must submit an application to the Radiation Safety Officer.

B. Requirements for Approval

  • The application may be approved, provided that the potential user furnishes evidence that the individual has training, experience, and equipment necessary to handle the radioactive material or radiation producing device in such a manner that:

    1. no person will be harmed by or overexposed to ionizing radiation.
    2. no state or federal regulations will be violated.
    3. the Authorized User will be in compliance with the policies set forth in this manual.

C. Duties It is the responsibility of the Authorized User:

  1. to ensure that the policies in this manual are observed by all personnel in his/her laboratory.
  2. to properly train new personnel before allowing them to work in an installation using ionizing radiation. Training shall include:
    • reading of this manual.
    • general rules of radiation safety.
    • ALARA maintaining radiation dose As Low As Reasonably Achievable
    • special rules for the specific laboratory involved.
    • directions for contacting the Radiation Safety Officer for assistance.
    • directions for notifying the proper authorities in the event of an emergency accident.
      • Baylor Police Department 710-2222
      • Deleted (4/12/11)

  3. to post a concise list of radiation safety procedures, to be observed in his/her particular installation.
  4. to see that surveys are made and records kept as required by the Radiation Safety Officer and this manual.
  5. to keep an up-to-date inventory of radioactive materials under control of the authorized user.
  6. to prepare and store radioactive waste material properly for disposal. (See Section VII).
  7. to post proper radiation signs. (See Section VI.)
  8. to forward to the Radiation Safety Officer the monthly survey records and inventory control sheets prior to terminating employment with the University, or terminating radioisotope usage.
  9. to treat all areas of any licensed laboratory as a radioactive materials area and observe all safety requirements. Eating or drinking is prohibited in areas which use radioactive materials or radiation emitting machines.
  10. to ensure that neither radioactive materials nor contaminated equipment is removed from the radioactive materials area.
  11. to ensure that no furniture or equipment is removed from the laboratory until it has been cleaned, surveyed for contamination, and radioactive warning signs removed.

D. Sabbatical/Absence

    A faculty member on sabbatical leave or absent for a period greater than 60 days must assign responsibility for his/her program to another certified, Authorized User who will be in charge of the laboratory in his/her absence. This person will be:

    1. another faculty member who agrees in writing to accept responsibility for the laboratory or,
    2. a resident post-doctoral researcher.
      • This alternative may be utilized for a period not exceeding 12 months.
      • The faculty member will leave a phone number with the Radiation Safety Officer so that he/she can be reached.
      • The post-doctoral researcher will be approved by the department head who will notify the Radiation Safety Officer, in writing of the arrangement and assume overall responsibility for the laboratory.
      • The arrangement will be approved by the Radiation Safety Officer.

E. Further Sabattical/Absence Requirements

    If the faculty member does not choose one of the options listed under "D" above, his/her radioactive materials will be transferred directly to:

    1. another AU faculty member after approval by the Radiation Safety Officer.
    2. the Radiation Safety Officer for disposition.

F. Deleted (4/12/11)

G. Requirements for users Who have Not Recertified Within the Specified Time Frame

    An AU faculty member who does not maintain training requirements during the annual calendar year will have a period of 30 days to complete one of the following alternatives:

    1. Complete the training process.
    2. Transfer all radioactive materials to a current AU faculty member and properly dispose of all radioactive waste.
    3. Transfer all radioactive materials to the Radiation Safety Officer for disposition.

H. Further Requirements for Recertification

    A faculty member who does not complete training requirements within 30 days following the year end, may have his/her AU reinstated by filling out a standard application form and obtaining approval from the Radiation Safety Officer.

I. Abandoned Isotopes

    Any radioactive materials left in any laboratory without an AU faculty member in attendance for a period of 30 days or more will be collected by the Radiation Safety Officer.

J. Special Circumstances Regarding Graduate Students and Post-Doctoral Associates

    Graduate students and post-doctoral associates must work under the direction of an approved faculty member.

K. Full Faculty Status AU Requirements

    All staff and faculty members who work with radioactive material must obtain approval as an Authorized User from the RSO. A faculty member may not work under the authority of another faculty member unless specifically approved by the Radiation Safety Officer.

L. Requirements for Users Leaving the University or Terminating Use

    When leaving the University, or terminating his/her AU approval for any reason, an AU faculty member may relinquish the radioactive materials in his/her possession by disposal, or by transfer to another faculty member who is approved for the material.

    1. To dispose of the material:
      • Package and label the material properly for disposal. Call for a routine pickup. (See Section VII.)
      • Disposal of large sealed sources, or other radioactive materials requiring special handling and extra expense, must be funded by the researcher or his department.

    2. To transfer the material to another AU faculty member:
      • Prepare a list of the isotopes, giving the amount, chemical form, and bar code number for each.
      • Submit the list to the Radiation Safety Officer with a request for the transfer.
      • Enclose a letter from the proposed recipient. The letter must:
        • state that the proposed recipient wants the radioactive materials.
        • describe the research or teaching program in which the material will be used.
        • agree to accept responsibility for the proper storage, handling, and eventual disposal of the radioactive materials.

      • If the radioactivity is in such a quantity or form so as to require special funding for disposal, a letter from the department head must be enclosed specifying that such funding will be made available when the source is no longer needed.

    3. The Radiation Safety Officer will inspect the laboratory to determine whether it is free of radioactive materials and/or contamination.
    4. In the event that a faculty member abandons radioactive material upon leaving the University and fails to arrange for proper disposal or transfer, the radioactive materials become the responsibility of his/her department. The course of action for abandonment shall be as follows:
      • The Radiation Safety Officer will clean up and dispose of the abandoned radioactive materials and remediate contaminated areas at the cost of the individual department.

M. Retirement of an Authorized User

    When a faculty member retires, with or without emeritus status, his/her radioactive materials AU approval will terminate. The faculty member may apply to the Radiation Safety Officer for a new AU. If the Radiation Safety Officer can ascertain that the faculty member will have adequate facilities to store and handle the materials safely and that funds will be available, if needed for disposal, the retired faculty member may submit a new AU application for a specific time period to be determined by the Radiation Safety Officer.

N. Special Criteria for Radiation Sources Requiring Special Funding for Disposal

    When an AU faculty member wishes to obtain a radioactive source that will require special funding for disposal, he/she must submit a letter from the department head stating that the department will accept responsibility for funding the disposal of the source when it is no longer useful. (See Section XIX.)