Silane


Overview

Silane is highly flammable and can ignite on contact with air. Silane is irritating to the eyes, skin and mucous membranes. Hydrolysis of silane inside body tissue may produce silicic acid.

Emergency Procedures

Skin Contact: Brush off any visible solids. Rinse with copious amounts of water for at least 15 minutes. Seek medical attention as needed. Thoroughly clean clothing before reuse.

Eye Contact: Causes mild eye irritation. Immediately flush with water for at least 15 minutes. Seek medical attention if irritation persists.

Inhalation: Remove victims to fresh air. Seek medical attention immediately.

Ingestion: Not a likely route of exposure since silane is a gas at room temperature. If swallowed, drink two glasses of water or milk. Do not induce vomiting.

Handling

Avoid contact with air. Silane is extremely pyrophoric (spontaneously combustible) and does not need an ignition source. Earth-ground and bond all lines and equipment associated with the system. Electrical equipment should be non-sparking or explosion-proof. Use protective gloves made of neoprene, butyl rubber, PVC or polyethylene.

Storage

Consider using leak detection and alarm systems. Store and use in ventilated gas cabinet or fume hood. Store away from incompatible materials such as bases, halogens and other oxidizing agents. Follow all applicable recommendations for storage and handling of compressed gases.

Disposal

Silane cylinders should be returned to the compressed gas distributor when emptied or no longer used.


Section 10 Chemical List