Authorize Access to Bill
What is an Authorized User?
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) generally prohibits the release of information from educational and financial records without the student’s consent. Adding an Authorized User in the E-Bill System is a student’s written consent that an individual may view account information, make payments on their behalf, and communicate with the Student Accounts Office regarding the student account. In addition, per federal regulations, if a parent uses tax information to help a dependent (i.e., filling out the FAFSA), financial information can be shared with that particular parent. An Authorized User does not have access to a student’s grades or other academic records.
Benefits of being an Authorized User
An Authorized User will receive email notifications when an E-Bill is available online, and can make payments online with an electronic check (checking or savings) or credit card. In addition, they can contact the Student Accounts Office and discuss the student's account information.
Federal Government Regulations
Student Accounts personnel cannot discuss anything specific to a student account with a person other than the student unless the student has set up the person as an Authorized User or completed the Consent to Release Information Form in BearWeb, under Student Financial Services, Student Account, giving Baylor permission to discuss the student account.
Set up an Authorized User: Step-by-Step
- Click here. Log in using your Bear_ID and Password, along with your Duo two-factor authentication.
- From the Home Page, select Authorized Users under My Profile.
- Click Add Authorized User and follow the further instructions. You will need to know the email address of each person you choose to designate as an Authorized User.
- Two emails will be automatically generated and sent to the email address entered by the student. Be sure to also check junk/bulk mailbox.
- Use your email address and temporary password (in the second email) to login to the E-Bill System (use the Authorized Users box).
- Enter your full name and create a new password when logging in for the first time.
- Click Account > Statements in the top navigation bar. Choose the statement date you want to view from the drop down box and click Select. Your statement will appear in a new window (you may need to allow pop-ups).