Kelly Rossler, PhD, RN, CHSE
Tenured, Associate Professor
Ph.D. Georgia Baptist College of Nursing at Mercer University, Macon, GA
Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator - Society for Simulation in Healthcare
MSN Armstrong Atlantic State University, Savannah, GA
BSN Armstrong Atlantic State University, Savannah, GA
View Publications on MedLine
To view Dr. Rossler's faculty spotlight video that shares more information about her research click here.
Work and Education
Dr. Rossler joined Baylor University Louise Herrington School of Nursing in 2014 as an Assistant Professor. Dr. Rossler entered academia in 2006 as a Faculty Instructor at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. Her work history in nursing education also includes a position of Assistant Clinical Professor at Texas Woman’s University School of Nursing in Dallas, Texas and Assistant Professor at Armstrong State University College of Health Professions in Savannah, Georgia. Dr. Rossler has over 27 years of experience working and teaching in the critical care hospital setting. Research interests include the effectiveness of simulation-based teaching strategies on improving interprofessional education, transitioning of nursing and healthcare professionals into practice, and the impact of simulation on practice behaviors and patient care outcomes. Additionally, her research focuses on developing studies using immersive virtual reality-based and telehealth experiential learning. She is recognized as a Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator (CHSE) through the Society for Simulation in Healthcare and past 2016-2017 INACSL Research Fellow.
Select Funded Research
Dr. Rossler is a Co-PI for a National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering/National Institutes of Health-funded research project entitled Validation of an Immersive Virtual Reality-Based Experiential Learning Simulator to Improve Medication Administration Safety Skills of Registered Nurses (1 R03 EB026171-01A1) demonstrate my preparedness to Co-Lead this project.
Dr. Rossler’s current and emerging publications demonstrate her experience with incorporating simulation-based education within academia and the healthcare industry. These publications found how both undergraduate nursing and healthcare professions students benefit in the realms of self-confidence and satisfaction in learning, role socialization, effective communication, and interprofessional education when provided education with simulation teaching methodologies. These publications advance the science of simulation related to orienting newly licensed Registered Nurses into the hospital setting with simulation-based education. These publications also represent foundational research necessary for advancing innovative simulation teaching methodologies within academia and the healthcare industry to impact patient safety and care.
Badowski, D., Rossler, K., & Reiland, N. (2021). Exploring student perceptions of virtual simulation versus traditional clinical and manikin-based simulation. Journal of Professional Nursing, 37, 683-689. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2021.05.005
Breitkreuz, K.R., Kardong-Edgren, S., Gilbert, G., DeBlieck, C., Hallock, C., Rossler, K., Turkelson, C., Lanzara, S., Parrish, K., Maske, M., Ellertson, A., & Anderson, P. (2021). Nursing faculty perceptions of a virtual reality catheter insertion game: A multisite international study. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 53, 49-58. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2020.10.003
Breitkreuz KR, Kardong-Edgren S, Gilbert G, DeBlieck C, Maske M, Hallock C, Lanzara S, Parrish K, Rossler K, Turkelson C, Ellertson A, Brown K, Swetavage T, Werb M, Kuchler E, Saiki L, Noe S. (2020). Simulation & Gaming, 52 (2), 169-184. doi: https://doi.org/10.1177/1046878120954891.
Carey, J.M., & Rossler K. (2020, January). The how when why of high-fidelity simulation. Stat Pearls Review. PubMed PMID: 32644739.
Rossler, K.L, Hardin, K., & Taylor, J. (2020). Teaching interprofessional socialization and collaboration to nurses transitioning into critical care. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, X:1-5. Epub. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2020.03.012.
Rossler, K.L, & Hardin, K. (2020). Teaching newly licensed RNs to build and interprofessional collaborative practice. The Journal of Continuing Education Nursing. 51(7), 331-337. doi:10.3928/00220124-20200611-09
Badowski, D., Rossler, K., & Gill-Gembala, T. (2019). Telehealth simulation with motivational interviewing: Impact on learning and practice. Journal of Nursing Education,58, 221-224. doi: 10.3928/01484834-20190321-06.
Rossler, K. (2019). Peer assisted learning with simulation for examination and transition success. The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 50, 115-120. [ePub; October of 2018] doi: 10.1016/j.nepr.2018.10.004
Published Abstract: Rossler, K., Hardin, K., & Taylor, J. (2019, May). Transitioning into Critical Care with Interprofessional Education. [Poster Presentation]. National Teaching Institute: American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN). Orlando, FL. May 20-23, 2019. American Journal of Critical Care, 28(3), e13-14. doi:10.4037/ajcc2019796
Rossler, K., Sankaranarayanan, G., & Duvall, A. (2019). Effectiveness of virtual reality on operating room fire safety skills among nursing students. Nurse Educator, 44, 88-92. doi: 10.1097/NNE.0000000000000551
Rossler, K.L., Hardin, K., Leveille, MG. & Wright, K. (2018, November). Newly licensed nurses’ perceptions on transitioning into hospital practice with simulation-based education. Nurse Education in Practice, 33, 154-158. [ePub]. doi: 10.1016/j.nepr.2018.10.004
Rossler, K., Badowski, D., & Reiland, N. (2021). Transitioning to virtual simulation during a pandemic: Exploring the learning needs of pre-licensure nursing
students. [Poster Presentation; Selected for Professor Rounds]. INACSL Virtual Conference 2021.
INACSL Standards Committee (2020). 2021 Revisions to the INACSL standards of best practice: Simulation. [Virtual Presentation] INACSL Virtual Conference 2021.
Rossler, K., Sankaranarayanan, G., & Hurutado-Rodriguez, M. (2021). Exploring Medication Administration Safety for Use in a Virtual Reality Simulator: Nominal Group Technique with Registered Nurses. [Poster Session with Presentation during Professor Rounds, January 28, 2021]. The 21st International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare (IMSH 2021) sponsored by the Society for Simulation in Healthcare. Virtual Conference.
Breitkreuz, K., Kardong-Edgren, S., Turkelson, C., Rossler, K., & Lanzara, S. (2021). An International Mixed Methods Study on the Usability of a 2nd Generation VR Sterile Catheter Insertion Game. [Oral Presentation, January 25th, 2021]. The 21st International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare (IMSH 2021) sponsored by the Society for Simulation in Healthcare. Virtual Conference.
Rossler, K. (2019). Engaging Students in Using Virtual Reality to Transform Learning. Southern Regional Education Board on Collegiate Education for Nursing Annual Meeting and Conference; Atlanta: GA: November 2019.
Breitkreuz, K., Kardong-Edgren, S., Gilbert, G., & Rossler, K. (2019, September). Collaborating to Test the Usability of a 2nd Generation Virtual Reality Skills Game. [Poster Presentation]. 2019 National League for Nursing: North Star: Purpose, Power, and Passion Summit; Washington: DC; September 2019
Rossler, K., Hardin, K., & Taylor, J. (2019, September). Teaching Interprofessional Socialization and Collaboration to New Nurses Transitioning into a Critical Care Practice. [Poster Presentation]. 2019 National League for Nursing: North Star: Purpose, Power, and Passion Summit; Washington: DC; September 2019
Honors and Awards
- 2020–Recipient of D Magazine's 2020 Excellence in Nursing awards for Nursing Education and Research (March 2020 Issue)
- 2019–Invited to speak on the topic of virtual reality at the Southern Regional Education Board on Collegiate Education for Nursing Annual Meeting and Conference;Atlanta: GA: November 2019
- 2019–Excellence in Nursing Research award by Georgia Baptist College of Nursing of Mercer University Alumni Association (October 2019).
- 2018–Proposal Development Award: Office of the Vice Provost of Research, Baylor University
- 2018–Nominated for the Baylor University Outstanding Faculty Award
- 2018–Proposal Development Award: Office of the Vice Provost of Research, Baylor University
- 2018–2018 Summer Research Sabbatical awarded by the Provost of Baylor University
- 2017–2nd Place Winner for Operation Poster Presentation: Rossler, K., & Hardin, K. (2017). [Poster Presentation] “Readiness to Transition: Integrating Human Patient Simulation into a Nurse Internship Program. INACSL Conference 2017. Washington, DC, 6/21-24/2017
- 2017–Nominated and Selected to become an INACSL Standards Committee Member
- 2016–2017 Summer Research Sabbatical awarded by the Provost of Baylor University.
- 2016–Rising Stars Program: Office of the Vice Provost of Research, Baylor University; September 2016
- 2016–Honorable Mention: Rossler, K.L., (2016). “Peer Assisted Learning: A Platform for Remediation” [Poster Presentation]. INACSL International Nursing Simulation/Learning Resource Centers Conference. Grapevine, TX. June 15-18, 2016.
- 2016–INACSL Research Fellow 2016-2017. Sponsored by the International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning.
Professional Affiliations and Service
- 2014–Present, Council on Undergraduate Research (November 2014)
- 2012–Present, The Society for Simulation in Healthcare
- 2012–Present, Eta Tau Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International
- 2011–Present, Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- 2010-Present, International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning
- 2010–Present, National League for Nursing (2010: AASU Affiliate; 2014: Baylor University Affiliate)
- 2002–Present, Sigma Theta Tau International, Honor Society of Nursing
- 1993–Present, American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN)
- 2021–Continue as Reviewer: Nurse Educator and Clinical Simulation in Nursing journals (Accepted in June of 2017).
- 2021–Continue as Presenter for the CHSE Readiness Review Courses Online Workshops (October 2020 and November 2020)
- 2021–Contributor to the CHSE Readiness Review course presentation for the Society for Simulation in Healthcare [Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator].
- 2020–American Heart Association HeartCode® BLS Online and In-Class (August 2020)
- 2020–Invited as INACSL Conference Abstract Reviewer for Presentations and Posters (October 2020)
- 2020–IRB Education Training and Certification: CITI Program (June 2020)
- 2019–Invited as INACSL Conference Abstract Reviewer for Presentations and Posters (September 2019)
- 2019–Invited to participate as a Contributing Authors for Defining Excellence in Simulation Programs (2nd ed) for publication in 2020 by Wolters Kluwer Health Inc; Philadelphia: PA. (August 2019)
- 2019-Invited to join the Society for Simulation in Healthcare in the development of a SSH Blueprint Review Reference Manual by the Editorial Team as an Item Writer (February 2019)
- 2019–INACSL Standards Committee Member: Revision of the INASCL Standards of Best Practice: SimulationSM
- 2018–Abstract Reviewer for Council on Undergraduate Research Posters on the Hill 2019.
- 2018–Faculty: CHSE Blueprint Review Course [ 6 Week On-Line Module]. Offered by the Society for Simulation in Healthcare September to October 2018.
Publications for Viewing on Medline