Baylor at No. 78 in Latest U.S. News Rankings
- The undergraduate business programs at Baylor's Hankamer School of Business combine rigorous classroom learning, hands-on experience in the real world, a solid foundation in ethical values and a global outlook. (Atrium of Baylor's Paul L. Foster Campus for Business and Innovation/Robert Rogers/Baylor University)
- A team of nine students and two faculty members with Baylor's Engineers With a Mission traveled to Cap Haitien, Haiti, in 2017 to partner with a Haitian foundation to install a solar photovoltaic system. This system provides electricity to their nine-acre compound where a school and several homes are run.
- Baylor students take part in the Summer Institute Program: Introduction to Tropical Medicine at the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine.The intensive two-week course, held in Houston, familiarizes undergraduate students with the field of tropical medicine. (Matthew Minard/Baylor University)
WACO, Texas (Sept. 10, 2018) – Baylor University is ranked No. 78 among National Universities in the latest Best Colleges rankings released today by U.S. News & World Report.
Baylor is the fifth highest-ranked Texas university, behind only Rice (No. 16), the University of Texas at Austin (No. 49), SMU (No. 59) and Texas A&M (No. 66) and ahead of TCU (No. 80), UT-Dallas (No. 129), University of Houston (No. 171), Texas Tech (No. 187) and Dallas Baptist and University of Texas at Arlington (tied at No. 221).
Schools in the National Universities category offer a full range of undergraduate majors, plus master’s and doctoral programs, and emphasize faculty research.
“Baylor University has a distinct and compelling academic mission, as we integrate teaching and research excellence with an uncompromising Christian faith that has a transformative impact on our students, higher education and the world,” said Baylor President Linda A. Livingstone, Ph.D.
“Under our Illuminate academic strategic plan, we have charted a path to become a top-tier research university for the benefit of our students, faculty, staff and alumni, but it’s more than just achieving preeminent research status,” President Livingstone said. “It means bringing our intellectual energy, institutional resources and Christian values to bear in addressing global conversations about crucial issues. By continuing to provide our students with academic and professional development of the highest caliber, we equip them with values-based leadership that makes a positive difference in the world.”
Other highlights for Baylor in this year’s U.S. News ranking:
- Baylor is the second-highest ranked university in the Big 12. UT-Austin is the highest at No. 49, followed by Baylor at No. 78, TCU (No. 80), Iowa State (No. 119), Oklahoma (No. 124), Kansas (No. 129), Kansas State (No. 147), Oklahoma State (No. 157), Texas Tech (No. 187) and West Virginia (No. 205).
- This is the seventh straight year that Baylor has been No. 2 in the Big 12 and among the top five in Texas.
- Undergraduate programs in the Hankamer School of Business moved up to No. 62, tied with 16 other universities, while the business school’s undergraduate entrepreneurship program is tied at No. 15 in the nation.
- Baylor’s undergraduate engineering program, which now offers a Ph.D. program, is tied No. 116 with 15 other universities.
- Baylor is ranked No. 57 among Best Value Schools, which rates universities according to the school’s academic quality, as indicated by its 2019 U.S. News Best Colleges ranking, and the 2017-2018 net cost of attendance for a student who received the average level of need-based financial aid.
- Baylor is tied at No. 44 among National Universities in the Best Colleges for Veterans ranking. U.S. News rates universities based on their participation in federal initiatives helping veterans and active-duty service members pay for their degrees.
- Baylor is tied at No. 73 in the U.S. News High School Counselor Rankings.
The U.S. News Best Colleges rankings are based on several key measures of quality, including outcomes, faculty resources, expert opinion, financial resources, student excellence and alumni giving.
ABOUT BAYLOR UNIVERSITY
Baylor University is a private Christian University and a nationally ranked research institution. The University provides a vibrant campus community for more than 17,000 students by blending interdisciplinary research with an international reputation for educational excellence and a faculty commitment to teaching and scholarship. Chartered in 1845 by the Republic of Texas through the efforts of Baptist pioneers, Baylor is the oldest continually operating University in Texas. Located in Waco, Baylor welcomes students from all 50 states and more than 80 countries to study a broad range of degrees among its 12 nationally recognized academic divisions.