Employee engagement has become a critical driver in the job market today. Keeping employees engaged is a process that needs ongoing evaluation and support. Below, you will find helpful tips on how to keep your employees engaged as well as focused on their day-to-day work:
- Build a firm foundation. Create an environment that generates honest feedback and act on that feedback.
- Employees enjoy a good relationship with their supervisor. Create a respectful and trusting relationship with an open communication style. Along with that, find opportunities for team building to increase the morale of the department.
- Provide the tools and resources in order to be successful in their role. If you are not sure if they have what they need, feel free to ask.
- Set very clear expectations. You want to try and prevent frustration of misinformation or not understanding what is expected of the employee.
- Ensure your team is aware of the department's goals and how it contributes to the success of the University. Sometimes when an employee is aware of how they make an impact on the bigger picture, it keeps the drive going.
- Professional development can help employees feel like they have a future with the University. Take time to mentor and understand their long-term goals.
- Create an environment that supports employee interaction with the greater University. Support could be as simple as allowing for time to participate in university-related activities or planning team watch parties for virtual events. Employees engaged with the greater University are more likely to be engaged in their individual work.
Employee engagement is always going to be an ongoing process. Keep your finger on the pulse of what is going on within your team and communicate regularly.