Child Gains Dependency

Certain qualifying events allow you to make changes in benefits that otherwise are not possible until the annual Open Enrollment period (November 1-30 with the change effective January 1). This summary outlines the benefit plan changes you may need to make as a result of your dependent meeting the requirements for dependency.

Please be sure to make your changes by completing and submitting the appropriate forms to Human Resources within 30 days of the date of the event that allows your dependent to gain dependency. Should your child have a change in their dependency status and satisfies the eligibility for dependency, you would complete the forms to allow your dependent's re-enrollment in Baylor's group insurance plans. If you do not notify Human Resources within 30 days of the event, you will need to wait until the next Open Enrollment period to make a change to your group insurance plans.

All forms should be submitted to Human Resources via email (, fax (254-710-3819), mail (One Bear Place #97053) or office delivery (Robinson Tower, Suite 200).

Forms and Documentation

Medical/Prescription Drug and Dental

Benefit Enrollment Application/Change Form

  • If you are already enrolled in a University medical and/or dental plan, you may add your child(ren) to your current plan. If you are not currently enrolled in the University medical and/or dental plan, you may elect coverage at this time for yourself and your family. The addition of a child(ren) may increase your medical premium.
  • The effective date is the date your dependent meets the requirements for dependency.
  • Group Term Life Insurance section would not be completed.
  • Schedule of Insurance Premiums

Tax Form

  • W-4: You may wish to update your number of exemptions.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)

You may want to reconsider your participation in Flexible Spending Accounts by either signing up now or changing the amount of your contributions. If you are already participating, you may want to increase your Unreimbursed Medical/Dental FSA contribution to pay for your dependent's out-of-pocket health care expenses.

Life Insurance

This is a good time to reevaluate your life insurance coverage to ensure that you have proper coverage to accommodate the change in your family. You may also need to change your Supplemental Term Life coverage. This change may require that you complete an application form and evidence of insurability form. Forms are available in the Human Resources office.

Retirement Income Plan

This is a good time to review your retirement income plan, investment elections, and contribution amounts to accommodate your new situation. You may begin, stop, increase, or decrease your contributions.

Questions? Contact Human Resources at (254) 710-2000.