Spouse Loses Insurance

Certain qualifying events allow you to make changes in benefits that otherwise are not possible until the annual Open Enrollment period (November 1-30 with the change effective January 1). This summary outlines the benefit plan changes you may need to make as a result of your spouse losing his/her insurance.

Please be sure to make your changes by completing and submitting the appropriate forms to Human Resources within 30 days of the date the insurance coverage is canceled.

If you do not notify Human Resources within 30 days of the event, IRS regulations require you to wait until the next Open Enrollment period.

All forms should be submitted to Human Resources via email (askHR@baylor.edu), fax (254-710-3819), mail (One Bear Place #97053) or office delivery (Robinson Tower, Suite 200).

Forms and Documentation

Medical/Prescription Drug and Dental

Benefit Enrollment Application/Change Form

  • If you are already enrolled in a University medical and/or dental plan, you may add your spouse to your current plan. If you are not currently enrolled in the University medical and/or dental plan, you may elect coverage at this time for yourself and your family. The addition of your spouse will increase your medical premium.
  • The effective date is the date your spouse loses insurance.
  • Group Term Life Insurance section would not be completed.
  • Schedule of Insurance Premiums

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)

You may want to reconsider your participation in Flexible Spending Accounts by either signing up now or changing the amount of your contributions. If you are already participating, you may want to increase your Unreimbursed Medical/Dental FSA contribution to pay for your spouse's out-of-pocket health care expenses.

Life Insurance

This is a good time to reevaluate your life insurance coverage to ensure that you have proper coverage to accommodate the change in your family. You may You may elect to enroll/change your Supplemental Term Life coverage. This change may require that you complete an application form and evidence of insurability form.

Retirement Programs

This is a good time to review your retirement income plan, investment elections, and contribution amounts to make sure they reflect your new financial goals.

Questions? Contact Human Resources at (254) 710-2000.