Daniel J. Watkins
Assistant Professor of History
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1-3pm; Wednesdays, 10am-12pm.
Early Modern and Modern France, Catholicism, Catholic Missionaries, Intellectual History, Cultural History
- Ph.D., The Ohio State University, 2014
- M.A., University of Florida, 2008
- B.A., University of Florida, 2005
Academic Interests and Research
My current research focuses on the relationship between the members of the Society of Jesus (a.k.a. the Jesuits) and the culture of the Enlightenment in eighteenth-century France. I am in the process of writing a book on the Jesuit Isaac-Joseph Berruyer, enlightened Catholicism, and the politics of the French Church from 1700 to 1830.
- “Skepticism, Criticism, and the Making of the Catholic Enlightenment: Rethinking the Career of Jean Hardouin,” Journal of Jesuit Studies 6 (2019): pp. 486–504.
- (co-edited with Mita Choudhury) Belief and Politics in Enlightenment France: Essays in Honor of Dale K. Van Kley, Oxford University Studies in the Enlightenment (Liverpool: Liverpool University Press, 2019).
- “A Suppression Revisited: Jansenism, Conservatism, and the Anti-Jesuit Ordinances of 1828,” in Belief and Politics in Enlightenment France (Liverpool: Liverpool University Press, 2019).
- “An Enlightenment Bible in Catholic France: Isaac-Joseph Berruyer’s Histoire du peuple de Dieu (1728-1758),” in Vernacular Bibles in the Middle Ages and Early Modern Era (Leuven: Peeters, 2017).
- “The Two Conversions of François de La Pillonnière: A Case Study of Rationalism and Religion in the Early Enlightenment,” Eighteenth-Century Thought 6 (2016): pp. 33-58.
- “Religion and Trade through Jesuit Eyes: Bringing Early Modern Central Asia into the World History Classroom,” World History Connected 10, no.3 (2013).
Selected Professional Awards/Activities/Grants and/or Fellowships
- Texas Collection Library Teaching Fellowship, Baylor University, 2019
- Theodore E.D. Braun Research Travel Fellowship from the American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies, 2018
- Moore Institute Visiting Research Fellowship at the National University of Ireland (Galway), 2018
- Summer Research Sabbatical from the Baylor University College of Arts and Sciences, 2018
- Arts and Humanities Faculty Research Grant from the Baylor University Office of the Vice Provost of Research, 2017
- Gustave Gimon Visiting Scholar Fellowship from Stanford University Libraries, 2015
- American Society of Church History Graduate Student Paper Prize, 2013
- Newberry Library Short-Term Fellowship for Individual Research, 2010
- Elaine S. and John C. Rule Research Travel Award from The Ohio State University Department of History, 2010
Courses Taught at Baylor
- HIS 1300 US in Global Perspective
- HIS 1307 World History Since 1500
- HIS 2395 Historiography
- HIS 4333 French Revolution and Napoleon
- HIS 4343 France Since 1815
Follow Dr. Watkins on Twitter: @watkinsdanielj