Associate Professor of History
Modern Britain, Cultural History, Religion
- PhD, Indiana University, 2011
- BA, Calvin College, 2001
Academic Interests and Research
My research focuses on the intersections between nineteenth-century religion and print culture, consumerism, and urbanization. I am currently working on a book that examines the roles of religion and emotion in working-class autobiographies as well as a digital research project that seeks to represent the map of the world as encountered by British readers of domestic, religious periodicals.
- The Evangelical Age of Ingenuity in Industrial Britain (Oxford University Press, 2016).
- “‘Pleasing Testimony’: Plebeian Readers’ Voices in the Tract Magazine,” Victorian Periodicals Review 52: 1 (2019), 125-145.
- “Cold Waters to Thirsty Souls: Evangelical News and Imagined Religious Community in Late-Georgian Britain,” Perspectives in Religious Studies 43:3 (2016), 193-210.
- “Silent Preachers in the Age of Ingenuity: Faith, Commerce, and Religious Tracts in Early Nineteenth-Century Britain,” Church History 80:3 (2011), 547-574. The American Society of Church History awarded this article the Sidney E. Mead Prize.
Professional Awards/Activities/Grants and/or Fellowships
- Frank S. and Elizabeth D. Brewer Prize, American Society of Church History, 2017.
- Sidney E. Mead Prize, American Society of Church History, 2011.
- Graduate Dissertation Fellowship, Center for Eighteenth-Century Studies, Indiana University, 2010-2011.
- Burgan Prize, Midwest Victorian Studies Association, 2010.
- Bernadotte Schmitt Grant, American Historical Association, 2009.
- NACBS-Huntington Library Fellowship, North American Conference on British Studies, 2009.
- Walter L. Arnstein Prize, Midwest Victorian Studies Association, 2009.
- W.M. Keck Foundation Fellowship, Huntington Library, 2009.
- Winterthur Research Fellowship, Winterthur Museum, 2009.
- Jay and Deborah Last Fellowship, American Antiquarian Society, 2008.
Courses Taught at Baylor
- HIS 1307 World History since 1500
- HIS 4340 The British Empire
- HIS 4340 Britain in the Eighteenth Century
- HIS 4345 Britain in the Nineteenth Century
- HIS 4346 Britain in the Twentieth Century
- HIS 5320 Introduction to Cultural History