Professor of History and Vice-Provost for Global Engagement Jo Murphy Chair in International Education
My research focuses primarily on the political history of 13th- and 14th-century England. I recently published The Plantagenets: History of a Dynasty (London and New York: Continuum, 2010), and an article on the household knights of Edward II. I continue to serve on the editorial board of Fourteenth Century England. My longer term research goal continues to be a political biography of Henry de Lacy, earl of Lincoln (d. 1311).
- B.A., Tufts University, 1977
- M.A., Emory University, 1980
- Ph.D., Emory University, 1982
- A Reassessment of the Loyalty of the Household Knights of Edward II,Fourteenth Century England 7, (2012), pp. 47-72.
- The Plantagenets: History of a Dynasty (London and New York; Continuum, 2010).
- King Edward II of England and the Templars, in The Debate on the Trial of the Templars, (1307-1314), ed. J. Burgtorf, P. F. Crawford, and H. J. Nicholson (Abingdon: Ashgate, 2010), pp. 215-24.
- The Uncertain Death of Edward II? History Compass 6 (2008), pp. 1264-78.
- The Character of Edward II: The Letters of Edward of Caernarfon Reconsidered, in The Reign of Edward II, ed. G. Dodd and A. Musson, (Woodbridge: Boydell, 2006), pp. 1-26.
- Witness Lists to the Royal Charter Rolls of Edward II 1307-1326, ed. J. S. Hamilton, (Kew: List and Index Society, Public Record Office, vol. 288, 2001).
- Menage a Roi: Edward II, and Piers Gaveston, History Today 49:6 (1999) pp. 26-31.
- Another Daughter for Piers Gaveston? Medieval Prosopography 19 (1998), pp. 177-86.
- "Piers Gaveston and the Royal Treasure," Albion 23 (1991), pp. 201-7.
- Documenting the Past: Essays in Medieval History Presented to George Peddy Cuttino, ed. J. S. Hamilton and P. J. Bradley. (Woodbridge: Boydell & Brewer, 1989).
- Piers Gaveston, Earl of Cornwall, 1307-1312: Politics and Patronage in the Reign of Edward II, (Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 1988).
- HIS 1305, World History to 1500
- HIS 4326, Early Medieval Europe
- HIS 4327, Europe in the High Middle Ages
- HIS 4328, Medieval Britain