T/R 10:45 – 11:45 a.m. and 3:15 – 4:15 p.m. or Wednesdays by appointment.
Modern Middle East, Islamic World, Late Ottoman Empire, and Modern Military History
- Ph.D., University of Michigan, 1980
- The Young Ataturk: From Ottoman Soldier to Statesman of Turkey. London: I. B. Tauris, 2013: Distinguished Book Award, 2014, Society for Military History
- Semseddin Sami, Women, and Social Conscience in the Late Ottoman Empire, Middle Eastern Studies 46 (January 2010), 97-115.
- "Istiklal Harbi'nde Bir Askeri Onder Olarak Ataturk (Ataturk as a Military Leader in the War of Independence)," in Asker ve Devlet Adami Ataturk Paneli (Ankara: Genelkurmay Askeri Tarih ve Stratejik Etut Baskanligi Yayinlari, 2009), pp. 3-8.
- The Crescent and the Eagle: Ottoman Rule, Islam and the Albanians, 1874-1913. London: I. B. Tauris, 2006.
- Co-author with Robert F. Baumann and Walter E. Kretchik, Armed Peacekeepers in Bosnia. Fort Leavenworth: Combat Studies Institute Press, 2004.
- "T. E. Lawrence and the Art of War in the Twenty-First Century" in The Waking Dream of T. E. Lawrence: Essays on His Life, Literature, and Legacy, edited by Charles M. Stang (New York: Palgrave, 2002): 161-78.
- The Albatross of Decisive Victory: War and Policy between Egypt and Israel in the 1967 and 1973 Arab-Israeli Wars. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 2000.