To achieve excellence in sales education, the Center for Professional Selling:
- Provides premier education through a world-class curriculum and professional development programs
- Expands the frontiers of sales knowledge through academic research
- Promotes professional selling and sales management as vital to the success of industry and society
- Strengthens the relationship between business and academia through programs tapping both areas of expertise
Baylor's Center for Professional Selling was the first sales center in the country and is recognized annually as a top sales program. To accomplish its mission and objectives, the Center engages in educational, developmental and research functions - all focused on promoting excellence in the fields of professional selling and sales management. The Center develops Christian business people and leaders who are prepared for the challenges of the workplace. From helping students navigate their calling, to challenging students to grow in their Christian worldview, our ProSales Vision for Developing Christian Leaders is foundational to who we are and what we do.
The Professional Selling Program
"More than 50% of US college graduates, regardless of their majors, are likely to work in sales at some point. But of the over 4,000 colleges in this country, less than 100 have sales programs or even sales courses."
("More Universities Need to Teach Sales," Harvard Business Review, April 2016)
Baylor University's Professional Selling program is a competitive program supported by Baylor's Center for Professional Selling. The selective nature of the program allows four full-time faculty to know and engage in each student's learning and development.
Professional Selling students are bright, with an average GPA of 3.63. In addition to strong IQ, these students all share a desire to impact others' lives. All of the students graduating with a Professional Selling degree from Baylor University are consistently among the strongest in the nation.
The ProSales Program is framed along three distinctive competencies, which anchor the student experience in the Program:
ProSales students complete seven courses in the major:
- Curriculum is benchmarked against 40+ other university programs (including members of the University Sales Center Alliance)
- ProSales courses are all offered in the Baylor model (sales courses restricted to 20 students)
- Students are engaged in experiential coursework through an accelerated learning/training model, and students have strong personal relationships with faculty, holding them more accountable for personal and professional growth
Baylor has an intentional approach to helping students make this key life transition:
- Our student-run Professional Development Program (PDP) includes key events:
- Executive speakers share career paths and experiences
- Successful Internship Workshops highlight student internship experiences
- ProSales students participate in a Top Gun Training program twice a year, ensuring they are "market ready"
- ProSales students engage in numerous competitions to hone their skills
- Baylor provides the financial support for external competitions
- ProSales majors participate in a suite of four internal competitions representing the entire sales cycle: Baylor Business Business Development, Baylor Business Selling Outside, Baylor Business Value Analysis and Baylor Business Ethics Competition
- ProSales students participate in ProPass, an app designed to promote and encourage professional development activities
The ProSales program develops students' ability to think and work collaboratively by teaching, coaching and pushing students to operate with a win-win mentality.
- Baylor students learn that optimal results happen when both parties (buyer and seller) win
- ProSales students serve as student coaches for external competitions, helping their colleagues prepare to compete
- Students learn how to speak to employers on behalf of other students