Computer purchases are made by Dean’s staff;
departments should not place a computer order, nor reimburse for one.
Baylor provides one computer per employee (when a computer is necessary)
* Desktops are the Dell OptiPlex 5000SFF or a Mac Mini;
* Laptops are the Dell Precision 3470 or the MacBook Air
Each has an upgraded processor, 16GB RAM, and a 256 or 512GB SSD
You may request a single, or dual 23/24" monitor(s) or a single 27" monitor
More specifications on the ITS Standard Hardware & Categories page
Replacement eligibility is based on the existing Asset Tag number
* computers starting with 18, or lower, are now eligible to replace
* primary computers (Category 1) starting with 19, or lower, are eligible
* if a computer is failing, but not yet eligible, please contact the helpdesk
* you may defer as long as your unit is working for you
TO REQUEST A REPLACEMENT, please email us with:
* Your Name, Department, Location: (Building & room number)
* Asset Tag: (top number on a sticker on the computer being replaced)
* Indicate the same model as what you are returning, or a change
* Accessories: (keyboard, mouse, dock, monitors, etc)
More powerful Dell Precision or Apple models may be justified:
* Tell us if you need more RAM or a larger drive on the provided models
* Otherwise, Click to Request/Justify an advanced Precision or Mac
- ITS and the Dean's Office will review each request
- Alternate funding is typically necessary
- Custom orders may take several weeks/months to arrive
TO ADD A COMPUTER (nothing to replace)
WHAT TO EXPECT: You will be notified. Approved requests will be processed.
SHORT-TERM Laptops, and other equipment, is available from Helpdesk+
Any device using the wired or wireless networks must be reviewed by ITS Security prior to purchase. Devices built for typical (home) wi-fi networks often do not work on a secure, enterprise network. Request a review by accessing the blue ITS Service Catalog at helpdesk.baylor.edu then click the “Non-Standard Technology Purchase” tile.
The $300 iPad model meets most needs and may be approved at the discretion of the department Chairs (calling upon their charge to be excellent stewards of our resources). Orders may be placed in Ignite using the Book Store. Email email@example.com ... we do not approve of cellular data use but, if justified, those purchases go through ITS Installs (Matt Branch and Sandra Chartrand).
University software is listed at the HelpDesk+ software page. To inquire about software not listed, please contact the HelpDesk with the title and need.
Arts & Sciences Technology
(Email astc@ with comments ... Last updated 01-18-23)