The VPR Colloquium Series brings major national and international speakers to campus to share their expertise with faculty, students, and the central Texas community. Colloquium topics span the full range of academic interests and programs at Baylor, broaden research and educational horizons for faculty and students, and contribute to a campus environment where learning flourishes. The Vice Provost for Research welcomes nominations for colloquium speakers from all academic units.
- Applications for VPR Colloquium Support must be submitted using the online request form.
- Applications are welcome at any time during the academic year, but should be submitted with as much lead time prior to the proposed event as possible. Applications must be submitted no later than 45 days prior to the event.
- Given annual funds available and the number of meritorious requests, not all requests for support can be honored. VPR Colloquium support is limited to travel and a modest honorarium.
- Priority will be given to colloquia that have commitments of financial support from academic departments and/or deans' offices.
- Requests for support of colloquium speakers will be evaluated according to:
- the extent to which the speaker will broaden research and educational horizons for Baylor faculty and students and the central Texas community.
- the academic and/or professional credentials of the speaker.
- the extent to which the colloquium will further the mission of the host academic unit and of Baylor.
- Please note that VPR Colloquium support does not involve any transfer of funds. Colloquium organizers will coordinate booking and payment for travel and payment of the honorarium with OVPR staff, and VPR Colloquium support will be paid directly by OVPR.
- It is the responsibility of colloquium organizers to consult the University calendar prior to scheduling an event, to ensure that it does not conflict with other major campus events.
- While OVPR staff will be happy to provide general logistical advice to colloquium organizers, it is the responsibility of the organizers to plan, schedule and conduct the colloquium.
- It is a condition of this support that the Office of the Vice Provost for Research be listed in all colloquium flyers and advertising as a sponsor of the event. A copy of all advertisements, media notices, etc. must be submitted to the OVPR no later than 30 days prior to the event.
- Colloquium organizers are strongly encouraged to advertise colloquium information as broadly as possible to appropriate audiences both on- and off-campus.
- Colloquium organizers are strongly encouraged to arrange colloquium scheduling so that VPR-supported speakers are available to make two presentations: (1) a technical presentation specific to the academic discipline(s) involved; and (2) a more general presentation appropriate for a lay audience with interest, but not necessarily academic preparation, in the colloquium topic.
- Failure to comply with award conditions may result in the nullification of support from the OVPR.