Purchasing procedures require that the value of items purchased be $4,999 or less and be from the supplier that provides the best value to Baylor University. It is policy to seek competition and the lowest prices within the parameters of quality and delivery. Accordingly, when making a purchase, the Cardholder will take reasonable steps to assure the best price.
A Cardholder will use the following checklist when making a purchase:
- Check departmental budget funds - Budget funds should be available before making a purchase.
- Select Supplier - Solicit from an adequate number of sources to assure the best price, quality, and delivery. Verify current price listing for suppliers who furnish standing price quotations or catalog prices on a recurring basis. Once a supplier is selected and confirmed that the goods are available that meet the specification and delivery requirements:
- VISA - Confirm that the supplier accepts VISA.
- Sales Tax - Inform the supplier that the purchase is for Baylor University and is sales tax exempt. For more details, see Tax-Exemption.
If you see tax on your transaction in PaymentNet, check your invoice/receipt. If no tax was added, then you were not charged tax. The reason it appears in PN is because the merchant did not run the transaction through as tax exempt. For audit purposes, include in your transaction notes that the invoice did not include tax and that no tax was paid.
- Shipping Information - Direct the supplier to include the following information on the shipping label and packing list:
- Cardholder's name and telephone number
- Complete campus delivery address
- The words "Purchasing Card Purchase"
- The supplier's order number
- Documentation of Order - Request that the order be sent to the Cardholder. This will ensure that the documents necessary for the record keeping are readily available to the Cardholder. For more details see Documentation.
- Notification of Delivery - Advise the individual within your area who receives merchandise to notify the Cardholder when delivery is made. Also tell them the supplier's name and order number, anticipated delivery date, number of boxes expected, carrier (UPS, Fed Ex, etc.).
- Amazon - Tax Exempt Certificate
ATTENTION: Starting July 1, 2012, Amazon is now charging sales sax to all customers in TX. They do permit an upload of our tax exemption certificate on an individual cardholder basis. Baylor's tax exempt form can be found at the link below:
You can access the Amazon Tax Exemption Program from "Your Account" page by navigating to the Settings section and select "Amazon Tax Exemption Program" at the link below:
Please upload your tax exemption certificate using the file upload Tool located on "Your Account" Page. When you've completed the process, you'll see a message indicating that you've successfully uploaded your tax exemption information.
For questions, please email email@example.com