The philosophy program provides a solid foundation in the history of philosophy. In addition, the program involves in-depth study of specific subject areas, including logic, ethics, aesthetics, epistemology, and metaphysics. This dual emphasis cultivates students' capacity for critical analysis, stimulates independent thinking, and promotes sound reasoning based on knowledge, moral discrimination, and religious insight.
The requirements listed here are taken from the 2008-2009 Undergraduate Catalog
Requirements for a Major in Philosophy
Thirty semester hours including the following:
- PHI 3310 and 3312.
- One course from PHI 1306 or 4345.
- Six semester hours of "4000" level courses in Philosophy (other than PHI 4345).
- Fifteen semester hours of additional any level electives. At least 12 semester hours of the fifteen hours must be philosophy courses and a maximum of three semester hours of required electives may be taken from the following courses:
- ANT 4305
- ECO 4338, 4343
- FRE 4338
- GER 4305, 4306
- GCK 4301
- HIS 4338, 4339, 4395, 4396
- MTH 4326
- PSC 3363, 3373, 4383
- PSY 2402, 4327, 4329, 4333, 4339
- REL 4346, 4353, 4354, 4390, 4393
- SOC 4309, 4391
- CSI 1340, 1430
- A grade of "C" or better in all courses used for the major.
- Students completing World Cultures I, II, III, and IV in the Baylor Interdisciplinary Core curriculum receive six semester hours credit toward the major.*
Requirements for a Minor in Philosophy
Eighteen semester hours including the following:
- At least one course from PHI 1306, 1307, 4345.
- Nine semester hours of "3000" or "4000" level courses;
- A grade of "C" or better in all philosophy courses used for the minor;
- Students completing World Cultures I, II, III, and IV in the Baylor Interdisciplinary Core curriculum receive six semester hours credit toward the minor.*
*The six semester hours earned by completing World Cultures I, II, III, and IV in the Baylor Interdisciplinary Core will be granted as lower-level credit. This credit applies to section D of the Major in Philosophy. In the Minor in Philosophy, this credit applies to the total of eighteen semester hours, but does not contribute to sections A and B.
Philosophy @ Baylor