Baylor Dedicates Mayborn Museum Complex

  • News Photo 1969
    A 28 foot-long model of a Pliosaur greets visitors during their Cretaceous Sea journey.
  • News Photo 1966
    A balloon-covered front entrance welcomed guests to the Mayborn Museum Complex dedication.
  • News Photo 1958
    The Sue Mayborn Grand Rotunda of the Jeanes Discovery Center, the centerpiece of the Mayborn Museum Complex.
  • News Photo 1968
    A map of the state of Texas hangs inside the Grand Rotunda.
  • News Photo 1971
    Visitors, such as Baylor regent Stan Allcorn (center) and Mayborn steering committee member Scott Salmans (right), use the interactive AT&T Orientation Station to plan a visit according to their interests and available time.
  • News Photo 1972
    The "Cabinets of Curiosities" in the Natural History Exhibits will house favorites from the former Strecker Museum, such as the tree-slice timeline and the humpback whale skull.
  • News Photo 1957
    One of the Strecker Museum's favorite displays - the skeleton of a giant turtle - found a home in the Natural History Exhibits.
  • News Photo 1973
    The permanent exhibits feature interactive exploration stations that engage visitors and nurture their understanding of what makes Waco the Crossroads of Texas.
  • News Photo 1974
    "Waco at the Crossroads of Texas" natural science and cultural history exhibits are a "walk through time." The Texas Lifeways exhibit features an authentically reproduced Waco Indian grass hut, a Norwegian rock house, a Comanche tipi (as seen here) and an early log cabin.
  • News Photo 1952
    A full house packed the Anding Traveling Exhibits Gallery for the formal dedication of the Mayborn Museum Complex.
  • News Photo 1953
    Baylor President Robert B. Sloan Jr. welcomed guests to the dedication.
  • News Photo 1955
    Sue Mayborn, chief benefactor of the Mayborn Museum Complex, with Dr. Ellie Caston, the museum's director.
  • News Photo 1956
    (L to R) - Sue Mayborn, chief benefactor of the Mayborn Museum Complex, with Bill J. Dube, director of Baylor's endowed scholarship program.
  • News Photo 1964
    Baylor President Robert B. Sloan Jr. with Regent Emeritus Harry Jeanes, who along with his wife, Anna, provided a significant gift for the construction of the Discovery Center that bears their names.
  • News Photo 1954
    (L to R) - Dr. Ellie Caston, director of the Mayborn Museum Complex; Drayton McLane Jr., chair of the Baylor board of regents; Harry Jeanes, regent emeritus and museum benefactor; and Larry Smith, assistant vice president for development programs and gift planning.
  • News Photo 1965
    (L to R) - Museum benefactor Harry Jeanes received congratulations from Buddy Bostick, a Waco television pioneer.
  • News Photo 1967
    Dr. Ellie Caston welcomes Baylor Regent Sue Getterman and her husband, Ted, to the Mayborn Museum Complex dedication.
May 14, 2004

After two years of construction - both inside and out - Baylor University formally dedicated its much-anticipated Sue and Frank Mayborn Natural Science and Cultural History Museum Complex before hundreds of well-wishers on May 14. Video of the dedication ceremony is available on demand at BaylorTV.com.

Following a week of special previews, the complex, which includes the Harry and Anna Jeanes Discovery Center, opened to the public on May 22.

Looking for more news from Baylor University?