Alumni Association Presents Annual Commencement AwardsMay 9, 2006
The Baylor University Alumni Association honored the service of two outstanding ministers during May graduation ceremonies May 13 in the Ferrell Center.
Dr. Jerold R. McBride and Dr. Charles Wade each received the George W. Truett Distinguished Church Service Award, presented annually to individuals who exemplify the life and career of the late George W. Truett and reflect the meaning of Baylor's motto, "Pro Ecclesia, Pro Texana." The award was presented during the 9:30 a.m. commencement ceremony. Wade, however, was not able to attend in person.
A retired Texas pastor, McBride was ordained in 1951 and has served several Texas and Oklahoma churches, including more than 30 years of ministry at First Baptist Church of San Angelo, where he was named pastor emeritus. He also briefly served as director of evangelism for the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma.
A native of Louisiana, McBride earned a bachelor's degree from Hardin-Simmons University in 1953 and two degrees from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, his master of divinity degree in 1956 and a doctorate in theology in 1960.
He is a former trustee of Baylor's George W. Truett Theologial Seminary, Southwestern Seminary and Hardin-Simmons University, and he previously served as both president and vice president of the Baptist General Convention of Texas (BGCT). In addition, he served on numerous BGCT committees, including the Administrative Committee and the Executive Board. He is a former chair of Texas Baptist Committed, and he currently serves as an interim pastor in Texas churches and on the Newport National Leadership Council.
His wife of almost 50 years, the late Elizabeth Basore McBride, died in 2003 of ALS. They have three children. He has been married since January 2005 to Claudia Machen.
Dr. Charles Wade, executive director of the Baptist General Convention of Texas for the past six years, is a graduate of Oklahoma Baptist University and earned his master of divinity and doctor of theology degrees from Southwestern Seminary. During his tenure with the BGCT, he has led the convention in facilitating more than 800 new churches and into membership in the Baptist World Alliance.
As pastor of First Baptist Church of Arlington from 1976-2005, Wade helped establish Mission Arlington, a pioneering community outreach ministry, in 1986 and helped start Arlington's first women's shelter in 1981. The church has had an International Friends Ministry for more than 30 years and has sponsored Hispanic, Chinese, Korean and Thai missions. He previously served as pastor of churches in Enid, Okla., and Italy, Texas.
Wade was president of the BGCT from 1995-97 and is a former trustee of the Hispanic Baptist Theological Seminary and Dallas Baptist University, where he was awarded an honorary doctorate in 1996.
He and his wife, Rosemary, have four children who all attended Baylor.
For more information about alumni awards, contact the Baylor Alumni Association at (254) 710-1121 or go to http://www.bayloralumni.com.