All Crouch Library audiovisual items are located at the Service Desk. You can save time by providing the call numbers for items that you want to check out.
Remember to check location and availability. In the online catalog, items that are checked out will show the STATUS "DUE 00-00-00"; available items will show the STATUS "Available."
If you are searching for an item and having trouble, please ask a staff member for help.
We have many thousands of audio recordings, spanning all time periods and styles. Whether you're brushing up for a music history course or just listening for enjoyment, you'll find a lifetime worth of music here. Some recordings are available online anywhere, some are for Library use only, and others can be checked out for listening at home. The Crouch Library's Listening/Viewing Center is equipped for playing music in all of the formats we offer.
To search for an audio recording:
- In BearCat, do an Advanced Keyword Search, using words in the title and a performer's name if known. Below the search boxes, use the Material Type limit to choose an audio format, such as "CD (AUDIO)." The "AUDIO (OTHER)" limit is mostly used for LP recordings. If you want to see all formats at once, do not select a Material Type and add "sound recording" to your search terms instead.
To browse a list of audio recordings:
- In BearCat, select the Call Number search, then choose "Local." Enter an abbreviation for the audio format; see this research guide for a list. The next part of the call number is the record label. So, for example, you can enter "CD F" for a list of all CDs by record labels starting with "F" or "CD Sony" for all Sony CDs in the collection.
To find audio recordings online:
We provide access to a number of streaming music databases. Browse the Music list within the Electronic Resources Database, or see the Streaming Music Research Guide for links and descriptions.
The Crouch Fine Arts Library has hundreds of audiobooks available for checkout. They are available in two formats, CD and cassette.
To search for an audiobook:
- In BearCat, do a keyword search, combining the author's name or words from the title with "audiobooks."
To browse a list of audiobooks:
- Select BearCat's Advanced Keyword search and enter "audiobooks" in the search box. Below, limit the Location to "Crouch Music/Fine Arts." If you like, use the Material Type limit to select either CD or Audiocassette. Then click Submit.
- Click on the titles in your search results for more information and to check availability.
Documentaries, feature films, mini-series, educational programs -- you name it, we probably have it! The Crouch Fine Arts Library has a wide array of video materials available that you may watch in the Library or take with you. We recommend checking the Library catalog for the format and availability first; we have videos on Blu-ray, DVD, VHS (videocassette), and LaserDisc. We also provide the Opera in Video collection online.
To search for a video:
- In BearCat, do an Advanced Keyword Search, using words in the title and a performer's name if known. NOTE: If you're looking specifically for movies, add "feature films" to your search terms. Below the search boxes, use the Material Type limit to choose a video format -- DVD (which includes Blu-ray), Videocassette (VHS tape), or LaserDisc.
To browse a list of videos:
- In BearCat, select the Call Number search, then choose "Local." To see DVDs, enter "DVD"; for Blu-ray, enter "blu ray"; for videocassettes (VHS tapes), enter "VC."
- To see a list of movies in any format, select the General Subjects search in BearCat and enter "feature films." Then click on any of the feature films headings to view an alphabetical list.