Dr. Marlene Neill
- Public Relations
- Writing and Editing for Online Media
- Strategic Communication Research
- Advertising Management
- University of Kansas, Bachelor of Science (Journalism - Broadcast News)
- University of Missouri, Master of Arts (Journalism- Strategic Communication)
- University of Texas at Austin, Ph.D. (Advertising);
Dissertation: Seat at the Table(s): An Examination of Senior Public Relations Practitioners' Power
and Influence Among Multiple Executive-Level Coalitions
Year Started at Baylor
- Community Relations Specialist for the City of Waco (1999-2009)
- Membership Director for Waco Family YMCA (1998-1999)
- General Assignment Reporter for KCEN-TV (1994-1998)
- Accredited by the Public Relations Society of America
- Member of the Universal Accreditation Board (2008-2010)
- Member of PRSA's Board of Ethics and Professional Standards (2013-2015)
- Accreditation Marketing Committee for PRSA (2007-2008)
- Chair for the Southwest District of PRSA (2011) - oversaw 14 PRSA chapters in 6 states
- PRSA Nominating Committee in (2012) - participated in meeting in Chicago to select slate of national officers for 2012
- Faculty adviser for Baylor PRSSA chapter (2012-present)
Research Interests, Publications and Conference Presentations
- Ethics in public relations, public relations management, integrated communication, ethics in advertising, public relations in nonprofit organizations
- Neill, M.S. (2014). Building buy-in. The need for internal relationships and informal coalitions, Public Relations Review, 40 (3), 598-605.
- Neill, M.S., & Drumwright, M.E. (2012). PR professionals as organizational conscience, Journal of Mass Media Ethics, 27 (4), 220-234. - based on interviews with 30 senior public relations practitioners from 10 American states and Australia.
- "Beyond the C-Suite: Public Relations' Scope, Power & Influence at the Senior Executive Level" - Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication Annual Conference, Aug. 8, 2013 in Washington, D.C.
- "Public relations professionals as organizational conscience in practice" - American Marketing Association Winter Educators Conference, Feb. 19, 2011 in Austin, co-author Minette E. Drumwright
Favorite Thing about Teaching
- Getting to know the students and helping them prepare for their careers.