History fair projects in the performance categories, individual and group, must follow the general rules which apply to all history fair entries (see link at right). In addition, performance projects must follow all of the specific rules outlined below.
C1. Time Requirements
- Performances may not exceed ten minutes in length. Timing starts at the beginning of the performance following the announcement of the title and student name(s).
- You will be allowed five minutes to set up and five minutes to remove any props needed for your performance.
NOTE: You should allow several empty seconds in your performance to account for unplanned pauses (e.g., applause, forgotten lines, etc.).
C2. Performance Introduction
- The title of your entry and the names of the participants must be the first and only announcements prior to the start of the performance.
C3. Media Devices
- Use of slides, mp3 players, computers, or other media within your performance is permitted. You must provide and run all equipment and carry out any special lighting or sound effects.
- Only those student(s) listed as entrants may participate in the production.
- The script for the performance should not be included with the written material presented to the judges.
- You may have assistance in producing your costume, but the design, choice of fabrics, etc., must be your own. Or, you may rent a costume. Remember: simple is best.
C6. Required Written Materials
- Three copies of your title page, process paper, and bibliography should be presented to the judges for review. Be sure to bring an additional copy for your own reference. Refer to Part III (General Rules>, Rules 16-18, for citation and style information.
HOTRHF Note: Rules listed on this website have been updated for 2015.