Ruben Santos Memorial - Baylor University Scholarship
The Ruben Santos Memorial Scholarship honors the longtime director of the Heart of Texas Regional History Fair. Ruben Santos served for thirty-five years as director of the Bill Daniel Student Center here at Baylor. For much of that time, Ruben was also the director of the history fair, a volunteer position in which he worked to develop, promote, and organize our fair. Ruben Santos died in March 2008, and this scholarship award honors his memory and our indebtedness to his service.
Qualifying HOTRHF students in their junior or senior year of high school may apply for the HOTRHF Ruben Santos Memorial - Baylor University Scholarship. The scholarship provides $1,000 tuition to Baylor University. One student may be nominated per school.
- The student should complete the online application and writing sample by typing in the responses in each of the fillable boxes. When the form has been completed, it must be printed. Then mail the application, writing sample, and two letters of recommendation (history fair sponsor and high school principal or counselor) in a single envelope to the Heart of Texas Regional History Fair office. The application and accompanying materials must be in the HOTRHF office no later than February 3, 2016:
Heart of Texas Regional History Fair
One Bear Place #97186
Waco, TX 76798-7186
- Applications for the scholarship will be screened by a panel of Baylor faculty, and the top three applicants will be invited to an interview with the scholarship selection committee during the Heart of Texas Regional History Fair at Baylor on Friday, February 26, 2016. The students who will be interviewed will be notified by or before noon Thursday, February 25, 2016, of the time and place of the interview.
- In addition to the information on the application form, the selection committee will consider:
♦ the applicant’s academic record in high school
♦ recommendations written by his/her history fair sponsor and high school principal or counselor
♦ demonstrated interest in becoming a Baylor University student.
- The scholarship recipient will be announced at the Heart of Texas Regional History Fair Awards Ceremony on Friday, February 26.
- The $1,000 scholarship is limited to tuition remission only and does not cover books, housing, or fees.
- The student must meet all the qualifications necessary to be accepted into Baylor, must apply for admission to Baylor through regular procedures, must be accepted into Baylor, and must register for Baylor classes before the scholarship goes into effect.
- The student should report receipt of the scholarship in any application for a financial aid package at Baylor University.