Graduate students who serve as teachers of record (TA1s) or externally funded researchers (RA1s) may be eligible for benefits including the following:
In order to qualify for any of these benefits and subsidies, graduate students must meet one of the following criteria:
- The Graduate School receives a list of qualifying students from the Graduate Program Directors in the summer and notifies students of their expected eligibility in August. GPDs are responsible for confirming the accuracy of this list, especially ensuring that the granting organization has agreed to fund the insurance for the RA1s.
- Students enroll for insurance at the SLC (2nd floor) by August 29.
- The Graduate School verifies the students' eligibility after the 12th class day.
- Upon confirmation of eligibility, subsidies will be applied to the premium and any remaining balance will be billed to the student's University account.
- If you are unsure whether you'll qualify, please check with your Graduate Program Director; if you have questions about this benefit, contact Betty Fornelius in Health Services (254-710-1493).
- Graduate students receiving this subsidy are required to re-enroll in the Student Health Insurance plan with Health Services each year they qualify.
- Externally funded RAs must re-enroll each semester.
- Confirm your teaching load with your Graduate Program Director (GPD) to ensure you qualify for benefits.
- Enroll for insurance at the SLC (2nd floor).
- Confirm that you have paid for the amount of insurance desired by checking your student account.
- Note: Students who indicate a December graduation on their fall enrollment form but postpone graduation until the spring will not be automatically re-enrolled in insurance for the spring semester. If eligible, students must contact their GPD, Candice Prose, & Betty Fornelius to extend their insurance coverage.
- Students should confirm enrollment online at the following website: Blue Cross Blue Shield Member Access. You will need to set up a free online account.
Parking Services has one parking permit option this year for qualified graduate students. The Graduate School will pay $225 towards your parking permit.
- Qualifying students will order a student parking decal online, and the student's account will be automatically billed for the reduced cost of the permit. If you do not see the discounted options, that means (1) you have already purchased a parking permit, or (2) you are not on the list of qualifying students. Feel free to call Parking Services at 254-710-7275 to verify your status in their system.
- Decals will be available for pick-up in Clifton Robinson Tower at the Parking and Transportation Services counter immediately after the online order.
- Qualifying TORs will receive a notice to pick up their meal cards after the 12th class day.
- This benefit is only available during the Fall and Spring semesters. Please keep the card that is issued to you in the Fall semester as it will automatically be refilled for the Spring semester.
- Note: You will only receive one card each year, so be careful not to lose it.