The Department of Family and Consumer Sciences at Baylor University was established as a department with a curriculum leading to a degree in 1933. It was recognized, at that time, as the Department of Home Economics. Classes were taught at six different locations across campus with a Bachelor of Science degree offered in home economics education, general home economics, and fashion merchandising.
In 1977, the department moved into its own new quarters at the corner of 8th Street and M. P. Daniel Esplanade and was named the Mary Gibbs Jones Home Economics Building in recognition of the wife of Houston businessman and philanthropist, Jesse H. Jones whose generous gift made this facility possible. The department name was changed to Family and Consumer Sciences in 1994. The Mary Gibbs Jones Building also houses the Parker Design Center.
Today, the department offers six professional degree programs: Child and Family Studies, Nutrition Sciences, Apparel Design and Product Development, Apparel Merchandising, Interior Design, and General Family & Consumer Sciences.
Two other facilities also support departmental programs. The Goebel Building houses a computer lab and resource lab for the Interior Design program. Additionally, the Goebel Building houses textile, body scanning, and wear testing labs. The Piper Center for Family Studies and Child Development located at 315 Washington Avenue serves as a lab school for students in child and family studies.