• Acquiring a broad knowledge in the study of individuals, families, and relationships.
• Becoming better able to understand and work with today's families as they change.
• Completing hands-on experience at the Piper Center for Family Studies and Child Development Center and other community agencies and organizations.
• Providing quality programs for children and their families based on developmental and systems theory, scientific research, and developmentally appropriate practice.
Where Bears Go
At Baylor University, students complete a program that prepares them for many different career opportunities including: youth and children's ministry, early education, parent education, child and family services, family support specialist, special needs coordinator, health-related agencies, child and family advocacy, early childhood intervention, and child life specialist.
• Child Life Specialist
• Certified Family Life Educator
• March of Dimes Walk America Director
• Youth Program Director
• Consultant, Mattel Toys
• Designer of functional clothing
• Child Care Center/ Preschool Director
• Children's Zoo Activities Director
• Human/Youth Service Worker
• Family Life Educator
• Early Intervention Specialist
• Community Center Director
• Family Support Specialist
• Head Start teacher
• Parenting/ Life Coach
• Director, church family life center
• Child life specialist
• Children/ youth activities Director, Cruise line
• Activities personnel
• Special Needs Service Coordinator
• Children's Ministry Coordinator
• Group Home Staff
• Juvenile Probation Officer
• Child Abuse Specialist
• Foster Care Specialist
• Adoption Agency Caseworker
• University professor
• Social Service Coordinator
• Hospice Care Provider
Students and faculty from the Baylor University Department of Family and Consumer Sciences recently presented professional presentations at the Texas Council on Family Relations Annual Conference. The faculty of the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences try to involve students in a wide array of professional development activities such as these conference presentations. Below is a photo of Amanda Seybold who did her presentation on "The Relationship of Military Middle-School Youths' Perceptions of Family Functioning and Parent's Deployment History". To read her abstract, click here .
Links to Professional Organizations
Child Life Council
National Association for the Education of Young Children
National Council on Family Relations
Society for Research in Child Development
Texas Association for the Education of Young Children
Texas Council on Family Relations
Zero to Three