Step 3: Individual Tax Indentification Number (ITIN)

You will need an ITIN only if:

  1. you do not have a Social Security Number, AND
  2. you received U.S.-based income for the previous year (including scholarship/fellowship income above tuition)

WINDSTAR will determine if you are required to have an ITIN and will automatically generate an ITIN application (W-7) to submit along with your tax return.

In addition to Form W-7, you must include the following:

  1. notarized photocopies of your passport, visa stamp, and I-94 card
  2. a letter from your DSO in IS3
  3. photocopy of your immigration document (I-20 or DS-2019)

ISSS can provide the DSO letter and notarization of your photocopies when requested.

NOTE: If you are submitting only Form 8843, you are not required to apply for an ITIN.