The Social Security Administration (SSA) requires two letters, one from your employer (supervisor) and one from ISSS, stating that the student is authorized to work on campus, the nature of the employment that has been obtained, and the identity of the campus employer.
For additional information regarding the law, GO HERE
To be eligible, the student must meet all the following requirements:
- Student is on F-1 visa status.
- Student is currently enrolled full-time.
- Student has secured employment, i.e. on-campus job, off-campus CPT/OPT, research assistant or teaching assistant in academic department (fellowships are not considered employment).
- Student has been in United States for more than 10 days.
- Student has been registered as a full-time student in SEVIS.
If all requirements have been met, please follow these procedures:
- Request your department supervisor to prepare a letter verifying your employment. A sample letter is available in ISSS.
- Request International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) to also prepare their letter verifying your employment.
- Take 1-20, 1-94, passport, employer letter, and IS3 letter to SSA office. You may look up Waco's SSA office address and map at HERE.
- Take your Receipt Notice from the SSA office to the Baylor Payroll so that you will be taxed at a reduced tax.
- Once you receive your actual Social Security Number, take it immediately to Payroll to submit that information. If you are eligible for tax treaty benefits, you will be eligible to apply for those with Payroll at that time.
If you are NOT eligible for a Social Security Number:
- You may be eligible for an ITIN (Tax Identification Number), if you are receiving income, i.e. scholarships, fellowships. You will need to complete form W-7, found on www.irs.gov
NOTE: You may still open a bank account and obtain a driver's license or a Texas ID without having a SSN or ITIN. Please ask ISSS for information regarding these procedures.
NOT EVERY STUDENT IS ELIGIBLE FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER. STUDENTS NEED TO COME TO THE INTERNATIIONAL STUDENT AND SCHOLAR SERVICES (ISSS) OFFICER FOR ASSISTANCE.