Submit Your Company
Submissions for the first round of the Baylor New Venture Competition are due by November 14, 2014 at 11:59 p.m.. For the initial submission, only a 2-page executive summary is required. Submitting your executive summary early is welcomed and encouraged!
Participants must register through iStart to submit an executive summary. Please be sure you meet the eligibility requirements below before registering! When ready, please click below to register for the competition:
Once you have reached the iStart page, click the orange Log In/Register button in the upper-left corner of the screen. Follow the on-screen instructions to fill out the competition entry form. Questions or issues can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligibility and Other Information
A brief outline for entering the Baylor New Venture Competition can be found in the tabs below. For details on these items, consult the Official Rules Document PDF.
Forming a Team
Team eligibility rules are briefly outlined below. For detailed eligibility rules please consult the Rules Document, Page 6.
To be eligible for the competition, your team must:
- Have 2-4 team members
- Be current students (undergraduate, graduate or post-graduate) or have graduated no more than 15 months prior to November 14, 2014
- Designate a point-of-contact responsible for communication with competition organizers.
- Have fundamental, equity-holding, founding positions within the company and have a combined ownership of at least 25% of the founder�s equity in the company.
- Not have members on multiple teams in the competition.
- Be present during the entire competition and at the time of the prize presentations to be eligible for prizes.
Plan eligibility rules are briefly outlined below. For detailed eligibility rules please consult the Rules Document, Page 6.
Business plans submitted by teams should be for ventures that are:
- Early stage
- For profit
- Looking for initial investment capital
- Preferred industries include cloud, mobile, internet, e-commerce, social networking, or gaming
Submissions should not include:
- Entity Expansions
- Real Estate Ventures
- Not For Profits
- Ventures with previous investment capital
Executive Summary Format
All executive summaries must be submitted in PDF format using the iStart submission site. Please follow the link above to access iStart and submit your executive summary.
Components of an Executive Summary
For uniformity in judging, there are certain items that should appear in every submitted executive summary. These items are listed below. Please consult the Rules Document, Page 8 for additional format requirements:
- One Sentence Summary
- Overview of Business
- Problem Solved
- Product or Services Offered
- Market Overview
- Business Model
- Customers or Prospective Customers
- Sales & Marketing Strategy
- Competitive Environment
- Management Team
- Capital Needed
- Contact Info for the Team Leader
Business Plan Format
All business plans must be submitted in PDF format using the iStart submission site. Please follow the link above to access iStart and submit your plan.
Components of A Plan
For uniformity in judging, there are certain items that should appear in every submitted business plan. These items are listed below. Please consult the Rules Document, Page 10 for additional format requirements:
- Title/Cover Page*
- Table of Contents*
- Executive Summary
- Business Mission and Vision
- Business Description
- Market Analysis
- Description of Products and Services
- Organization and Management
- Marketing and Sales Strategy
- Financials (Must include 5-year Pro-forma Income Statement)
*Does not count toward 10-page total
Information and Training Sessions
There will be two Information and training sessions for the 2015 competition.
- Information Session: Sept. 24, 2014, Cashion 103, 4-5 p.m.
- Information and Training Session: Oct. 8, 2014, Cashion 111, 2:30 pm
In order to gather an estimated attendance count for each training session, please complete this short form if you are planning on attending.