1. Do I need a budget adjustment or an accounting recode?
When budget funds need to be transferred from one account to another, or from one department to another, a Budget Change Request form should be prepared and submitted to the Budget Office. When an actual expenditure or revenue which has already been recorded needs to be transferred from one account or department to another, a Departmental Adjustment should be entered in TRAX and submitted to Accounting, x3454.
2. What areas of my budget can I transfer from?
Transfers within a category, i.e. 93xx to another 93xx, or 97xx to another 97xx, are generally acceptable transfers, keeping in mind justification as to why a decrease will not affect your department's operations or result in overspending in the budget area decreased.
3. How do I find out who has BCR approval authority for my department?
BCR approval authority is decided upon at the discretion of each individual department. Each department's signature authorization form indicates which individuals have BCR approval authority. For this reason, a department's signature authorization form must be updated to reflect any authorization changes.
4. Should the revenue or expenditure dollar amounts contain cents?
No. The dollar amounts entered on the BCR (revenue or expenditures) must not contain cents and are to be rounded up to the nearest dollar amount.
5. Do I have to enter a justification?
Yes. Justification is a required field. Explanations are to be provided not only for the area(s) being increased, but also for the area(s) being decreased.
6. Is there a limit to the number of lines that may be entered on a BCR?
No. As many lines as needed may be entered on one BCR.
7. Can I request adjustments for departments outside of my department/area/division?
Yes. Individual line approvals allow for requests to involve multiple departments/areas/divisions.
8. Do I enter negative amounts on the lines that are indicated to be decreased?
No. All amounts are to be entered as positive.
9. What if the account code I need to use is not displayed in the drop-down box or the field turns red after I enter an account code?
The account may need to be added as an option. Notify your department's Budget Office contact to coordinate a resolution.
10. Can I request an adjustment that involves a restricted fund?
Yes. Non-grant restricted funds may be included on a BCR.
11. Can I request a transfer of funds from one restricted fund to another?
No. This type of request is to be coordinated through Gifts and Investment Accounting, as no budget adjustment is involved.
12. How do I know if a BCR has been emailed to the Budget Office?
The "Email Budget Approver" button will appear gray once clicked.
13. If a BCR involves multiple areas, which approver must email the BCR to the Budget Office?
Any approver may click the "Email Budget Approver" button. Typically this is the last person to apply approvals to lines on the BCR.
14. How will I know when the entries for a BCR are posted in TRAX?
The Budget Office will send email notification to the originator of the BCR once entries are posted.
15. When do I use the paper BCR form?
Only rare requests involving non-student personnel budget adjustments are to be requested on the paper BCR form. Grant/sponsored program-related adjustments also must be requested on the paper form.
16. Where do I get blank Budget Change Request forms?
17. Can I request an allocation from the University on a BCR form?
No. All allocation requests are to be submitted through BearQuest.
18. If I entered a BCR, why can I no longer edit it?
Once a BCR has been emailed to the next level for processing, a previous user can no longer make changes to the BCR. When an originator emails notification to an approver, the originator can no longer edit. When an approver emails notification to the Budget Office, the approver can no longer edit.
19. Can the Budget Office return a BCR back to a department for corrections/editing?
Yes. The Budget Office can disable approval on a line(s) so that a departmental approver can edit the BCR as needed, and then re-approve the line(s).
20. Can an approver from another area apply approval to lines containing adjustments for my area?
No. Line approvals are controlled by TRAX security access. An approver can apply an approval only if he/she has security access to the department and has online BCR approval access.
21. Why won't the "Email Budget Approver" button highlight after I enter a BCR?
The button will not highlight until at least one approval is applied to every line on the BCR. The form is not to be emailed to the Budget Office until departmental/area/division approvals are completed.
22. When I want to "transfer" revenue, why does the adjustment have to be indicated as an increase?
Revenues are not transferred to expenditures; they offset. Revenue collected but not already planned for in a department's budget would need an increase to the budget. If costs related to the generation of that revenue are not already planned for in the department's budget, the expenditures would need an offsetting increase to the budget. Example: During the fiscal year, a department hosts a conference which was not planned for in its original budget – neither revenues nor expenditures. The department will collect participant fees, and will incur costs for conference advertising, printing, and supplies. A BCR would include an increase to a revenue account for the participant fees collected, and increases to several expenditure accounts to cover related costs.
23. Do I have to obtain three approvals for every line on the BCR?
No. The number and level of approvals needed are determined by the departments/areas/divisions involved in the adjustments.
1. Who can tell me what the charges of a Journal Voucher are for?
Call Accounting at x3454.
1. What is the status of my Travel Advance?
Call Accounts Payable @ x2415.
2. What is the status of my Purchase Order?
Call Purchasing @ x1561.
3. Can I reimburse an employee for travel (9382 or 9389) with a Voucher?
No. A paper Travel Expense Report form should be completed for group travel (9389) and sent to the Budget Office to be processed. An electronic ER should be completed for individual travel (9382) and forwarded to Accounts Payable by email.
1. Point-to-Point mileage?
For TX, NM, OK, LA, and AR, see the following web link: For other states, please call Budget Office @ x2663.
More Information: http://www.baylor.edu/travel/index.php?id=3381
2. Where can I get a State Hotel Tax Exemption form?
This form is available on the Travel Center website.
More Information: http://www.baylor.edu/travel/index.php?id=3382
1. How can I give someone else access to my department IDs?
Contact Trax @ x8704.
More Information: http://www.baylor.edu/traxhelp/