To contribute items to BaylorNews Spotlight, please complete one of these forms:
October 7, 2013
Originally named Baylor Stadium, the structure that now stands as Floyd Casey Stadium was built in 1950 after a bond sale raised $1.5 million for construction costs. The first game played in the new stadium on Sept. 30, 1950, ended with a 34-7 Baylor victory over University of Houston. Many alumni and friends have contributed time, talent and treasure to make Floyd Casey Stadium a comfortable and functional home of the Baylor Bears for over 63 years. Some updates made throughout the years include:
An eight-year project to upgrade worn wooden bleacher seats to modern aluminum was completed in 1981.
In 1989 the stadium was renamed Floyd Casey Stadium after longtime University supporter and trustee Carl B. Casey and his wife Thelma contributed $5 million to support a renovation project in honor of his father Floyd.
In 1990, new lights, expanded and improved restrooms, and new concession stands were completed.
The Carl and Thelma Casey Athletic Center, which housed departmental offices, locker rooms, training rooms, weight facilities, a video studio and meeting facilities, opened in 1991.
A state-of-the-art luxury suite and pressbox was built on the stadium's west side in 1999. One year prior, the team meeting room area also underwent a complete renovation.
Baylor's locker room received a facelift in 2001, when the
$2 million facility (the Big 12's largest) was completed.
In 2002, Baylor added a 23-by-31-foot LED video screen in the south end zone. The project included the addition of a state-of-the-art sound system and new digital scoreboards in both end zones.
The plaza, first opened in 2002 on the west side of the stadium, has since been expanded to wrap completely around the stadium. The plaza's centerpiece is a statue honoring former Baylor head coach and College Football Hall of Fame member Grant Teaff.
Baylor is sending the historic Floyd Casey Stadium out in style. At each home game throughout this final season (except the Nov. 7 Thursday night game vs. Oklahoma), "The Case," as it is affectionately known, will host player reunions that will correspond to each of six decades in which the Bears have called Floyd Casey home.
A special collector's pennant is being given away at the Baylor Alumni Network Tailgate, memorable moments from legendary Dave Campbell and athletics historian Jerry Hill are being published in gameday programs, and throwback events that bring back former traditions are planned, such as Homecoming's "card sections" on Oct. 19 vs. Iowa State. But the most anticipated part of the planned events may be the wearing of Nike retro uniforms, inspired by the 1950 Baylor squad in order to honor the first team to play in Floyd Casey Stadium, for the season finale Dec. 7 vs. Texas.