Wedding PoliciesThe beautiful McLean Foyer of Meditation in the Armstrong Browning Library is a popular and elegant setting for weddings. We wish to assist you in making your very special event as lovely as its physical surroundings. In return, we ask that you help us protect the building's facilities and treasures.
For specific questions, contact:
Jessica McAdoo (254.710.4960) or
Mary D. Rodriguez (254.710.7830)
Armstrong Browning Library
One Bear Place #97152, 710 Speight Avenue
Waco, Texas 76798-7152
Library fax number: 254.710.3552
Please read carefully. It is the responsibility of the signatory of the Wedding Application Form (usually the bride-elect) to ensure that the wedding party abides by these policies.
TO RESERVE THE McLEAN FOYER OF MEDITATION THE BRIDE OR THE GROOM MUST BE A:
- Currently enrolled Baylor student
- Baylor graduate
- Current Baylor employee or child
- Library Patron* or child
*This designation requires a donation of $5,000 or more. Contact David Cortes, Library Development, to make a Library Patron donation.
SCHEDULING A WEDDING (bride-elect or her representative):
- Request a Wedding Application Form in person, by telephone, or by e-mail.
- Return the Wedding Application Form within 10 days from date received and pay the Wedding Fee ($1,500.00) and Security Deposit ($500.00) in full ($2,000.00).
- After your date has been confirmed, schedule a meeting and walk-through with Ms. McAdoo or a designated library representative to discuss the possibilities and limitations of the facilities.
- Special Note. Two weeks prior to the wedding, the bride-elect and/or the wedding consultant must call or see Ms. McAdoo or the designated representative to discuss all aspects of final preparations. After this time, extensive and time-consuming changes will not be considered.
- Wedding receptions are not held in the Armstrong Browning Library at any time.
- Only one wedding is scheduled during any month and only on a Saturday afternoon no earlier than 2:00 p.m. and no later than 4:00 p.m.
- Should there be several requests for the same month, preference will be given to the first application received with fees paid in full.
- Rehearsals and weddings will not be scheduled on University holidays or on any day when the University is officially closed.
- Seating capacity for the McLean Foyer of Meditation is 200 people: 140 chairs maximum (depending on setup) with 60 persons seated on cushioned benches. The Foyer cannot accommodate 200 chairs.
- Reservations may be requested no earlier than the first business day nine months in advance of the wedding month. Reservations may be requested no later than three months in advance, corresponding to the wedding date in the month. The schedule is as follows:
Wedding month: No earlier than: No later than: January April October, corresponding date February May November, corresponding date March June December, corresponding date April July January, corresponding date May August February, corresponding date June September March, corresponding date July October April, corresponding date August November May, corresponding date September December June, corresponding date October January July, corresponding date November February August, corresponding date December March September, corresponding date
WEDDING AND SECURITY FEES:
- Wedding Fee: $1,500.00, for five (5) hours total building access, including the rehearsal and preparation time. We accept check or cash, no credit/debit cards at this time.
- This fee covers rental of the space, ABL staffing fee, security service, chair rental and set up of chairs, and set up and use of audio system, if needed.
- Security Deposit: $500.00 (refundable). A fee of $100.00 will be deducted from the deposit for each hour (or portion thereof) that the rehearsal or the wedding exceeds the allotted time.
- Damage to the Library will result in forfeiture of the security deposit. Damage includes (but is not limited to) stains, scratches, and trash. Deductions will also be made when rules have been violated (for example, proof of food and/or drink in unauthorized locations). Deductions are made at the discretion of the Library Director.
- Cancellation: Only the security deposit will be refunded.
- Please make checks payable to the ABL Guardian Angel Fund. The bride and groom receive complementary three-year memberships in the ABL Guardian Angels organization (the Library's friends' group).
REHEARSAL AND WEDDING TIME-ALLOTMENTS:
- The wedding fee pays for a total of five (5) hours for rehearsal and wedding. Note: Wedding photographs must be completed within this five-hour period.
- Rehearsals are scheduled no earlier than 5:00 pm and no later than 6:00 pm on the Friday evening prior to the wedding.
- The rehearsal is allotted 1-1.5 hours, including arrival and departure. (If the rehearsal begins at 6:00 pm, the building must be vacated by 7:30 pm.)
- The building will not be opened prior to a time agreed-upon in advance.
- The wedding is allotted 3.5-4 hours (depending on amount of time used for the rehearsal), including arrival, pre-wedding activities, the ceremony, photographs, and departure.
- No lighted candles, including unity candles, are permitted in the Library by order of the Fire Marshal.
- Smoking and alcoholic beverages are not permitted in the building or on the grounds.
- Food and soft drinks for the wedding party prior to the ceremony are permitted only in the Cox Reception Hall and the kitchen on the first floor.
- Birdseed must be used rather than rice. It should be distributed and thrown only outside the building.
- No recorded music is permitted. A grand piano is located in the Foyer of Meditation. Consult Ms. McAdoo or the designated representative about live music.
- The schedule for delivery, placement, and removal of flowers and other decorations must be reported to Ms. McAdoo or the designated representative no later than two weeks prior to the wedding.
- No decorations are to be placed in the Cloister of the Clasped Hands. A kneeling bench may be used. We do not provide one.
- Unity sand may be used, and communion for the bride and groom is allowed. Tables or receptacles are your responsibility, along with any cleanup after the ceremony.
- Decorations are not to be attached with tacks, pins, tape, or nails to any of the furniture, walls, or woodwork in the building.
- No flowers may be placed on musical instruments or furnishings (except for the large table, with proper protection under the container).
- To avoid damage to the floor, flowers must be placed in water-tight containers. Do not use wet, potted plants.
- The table in the McLean Foyer of Meditation cannot be moved.
- Audio and Video Recording: Extension cords and their placement must be approved beforehand.
- The Library decorates for Christmas during the Thanksgiving holidays. Neither these decorations nor any that the University puts up at any other time may be moved, with the exception of the table decoration in the Foyer of Meditation.
- Groom and Groomsmen: The men's lounge will be available, but men are urged to arrive dressed for the wedding. Groomsmen may gather in the Research Hall (on the second floor) prior to the wedding. (Note: The Research Hall is not an alternate dressing area, as security cameras remain "live" in that room.)
- Bride and Bridesmaids: The Mary Maxwell Armstrong Seminar Room (on the first floor near the women's lounge) is reserved for the use of the bride and bridesmaids. There is a mirror in this space and electrical outlets are plentiful. The women's lounge is also available to the bride. (Note: There are no electrical outlets in the lounge, and female guests will have access to this area.)
- The Armstrong Browning Library is not liable for personal effects that are lost, stolen or damaged.
- Personal items must be removed from the Library as soon as the wedding ends. The building will be locked as soon as the participants have left for the reception.