Active Shooters On Campus
1. If you witness any armed individual on campus at any time or if an individual is acting in a hostile or belligerent manner, immediately contact Baylor University Police Department at 254-710-2222.
2. IF THE ACTIVE SHOOTER IS OUTSIDE THE BUILDING:
- Turn off all the lights and close and lock all doors and windows.
- If you can do safely, get everyone on the floor and out of the line of fire.
- Move to a core area of the building if safe to do so and remain there until an “all clear” instruction is given by an authorized “known” voice or on the voice evacuation system.
- If the staff or students do not recognize the voice that is giving the instruction, they should not change their status.
- Unknown or unfamiliar voices may be misleading and designed to give false assurances.
3. IF THE ACTIVE SHOOTER IS INSIDE THE BUILDING:
- If it is possible to flee the area safely and avoid danger, do so.
- Contact Baylor police at 254-710-2222 with your location if possible.
- If flight is impossible, lock all doors and secure yourself in your space.
- Get everyone down on the floor or under a desk and remain silent.
- Wait for the “all clear” instruction.
- When police enter the area, follow their directions explicitly as they will need your full cooperation to ensure your safety. This is not the time to ask questions.
4. IF THE ACTIVE SHOOTER COMES INTO YOUR CLASS OR OFFICE:
- There is no one procedure the authorities can recommend in this situation.
- Attempt to get the word out to other staff if possible and Baylor Police at 254-710-2222 if that seems practical.
- Use common sense. If hiding or fleeing is impossible, attempt to negotiate with the individual.
- Attempting to overcome the armed subject with force is a last resort that should only be initiated in the most extreme circumstance.
- Remember, there may be more than one active armed subject.
- Wait for the "all clear" instruction.
- Be careful not to make any changes to the scene of the incident, because law enforcement authorities will investigate the area later.
- In case you must flee, do not go to a normal gathering point for your building. Get as far away from the shooting scene as possible and then contact authorities.
The Baylor University Police Department