Angela Gorrell, Ph.D.
EducationPhD, Practical Theology, Fuller Theological Seminary
MDiv, Fuller Theological Seminary
BA, Youth Ministry, Azusa Pacific University
Research InterestsSocial Media and Other Forms of Technology
Joy and Suffering
Addiction and Suicidal Ideation
Violence and Peacebuilding
Mental and Emotional Health
Meaning-making and Storytelling
Contemporary Visions of the Good and the Good Life
Courses TaughtTheology and Contemporary Culture
Teaching for Transformation
Jesus and the Meaning of Life
Foundations of Ministry with Youth & Young Adults
Stories To Tell
- The Gravity of Joy: A Story of Being Lost and Found. Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2021.
- always on: practicing faith in a new media landscape. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2019.
- “Hybrid Youth Ministry: Preparing Youth Ministry Practitioners to Traverse the New Media Terrain,” Journal of Youth Ministry (October 2018).
- “Spiritual Care in a Social Media Landscape,” Journal of Pastoral Care & Counseling 32, no.3 (September 2018).
- “Questioning as Quest: Theological Reflections on Cultivating Desire in Mississippi,” Journal of Missional Practice online journal (July 2015).
- "We Need Vision," Catalyst online newsletter (April 2019).
About Dr. Gorrell
Dr. Angela Williams Gorrell joined Baylor's George W. Truett Theological Seminary in Fall 2019 as Assistant Professor of Practical Theology. Prior to joining the faculty at Baylor University, she was an Associate Research Scholar at the Yale Center for Faith & Culture, working on the Theology of Joy and the Good Life Project, and a lecturer in Divinity and Humanities at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut. She is an ordained pastor with 14 years of ministry experience. Dr. Gorrell is passionate about finding issues that matter to people and shining the light of the Gospel on them. She is the author of always on: practicing faith in a new media landscape and a new book, The Gravity of Joy: A Story of Being Lost and Found, which shares findings of the joy project while addressing America’s opioid and suicide crises. Dr. Gorrell’s expertise is in the areas of theology and contemporary culture, education and formation, meaning-making, joy, new media, and youth and emerging adults. Dr. Gorrell regularly consults, speaks, and leads workshops and retreats on her research and areas of expertise.Angel Gorrell Profile Photo