Recent Faculty Scholarship
Andrew Arterbury, PhD
- “Recalling the Mount of Olives: Sleeping and Praying in Acts 12:1-17” (a chapter) in A Temple Not Made with Hands, p. 163–175, 2018.
- “Notes on the Gospel of Luke” (Study Bible Notes) in The Baylor Annotated Study Bible, August 2019.
Kimlyn Bender, PhD
- “The Confessional Task of the Christian University” in Christian Scholar’s Review, Vol. 48, p. 3-16, 2018. n “Karl Barth” (a chapter) in The Oxford Handbook of Ecclesiology, p. 361-382, 2018.
- “Karl Barth, Confessionalism, and the Question of Baptist Identity” in Perspectives in Religious Studies, Vol. 45, p. 49-67, 2018.
- “Capitalism, Socialism, and Karl Barth’s Pragmatism: Provisional Lessons from a Disillusioned Socialist for Christian Economic Engagement” at Oikonomia Network Conference, held January 2-3, 2019 in Dallas.
- “Christian Discipleship in the Digital Age: Character Formation and the Challenges of Cyberculture” at The T.B. Maston Lecture, held March 21, 2019 at Carson-Newman University.
Stephanie Boddie, PhD
- “Changing Historic Sacred Places in Philadelphia” with Dr. Randall Mason, Ashley Hahn, Molly Lester, Kalen Flynn, and Dr. Amy Hillier, all of University of Pennsylvania, at Association for the Sociology of Religion Conference, held August 12, 2018 in Philadelphia.
- “Korean and Black Churches in Pursuit of Reconciliation and Unity” with Dr. Hyepin Im and Peter Hwag at Association for the Sociology of Religion Conference, held August 12, 2018 in Philadelphia.
- “Unfinished Business: From the Great Migration to Black Lives Matter” with Sonari Childi, University of Pennsylvania, at Association for the Sociology of Religion Conference, held August 13, 2018 in Philadelphia.
- “Congregations Connecting Giving, Family Development, and Community Development” with Lynn Harper II, graduate student, at No Need Among You Conference, held October 3-5, 2018 in Waco.
- “Unfinished Business: From the Great Migration to Black Lives Matter” with Adrienne Cain, Baylor Institute for Oral History, and Sonari Childi, University of Pennsylvania, at Oral History Association, held October 13, 2018 in Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- “Education from a Gardner’s Perspective” at Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action, held November 15-17, 2018 in Austin.
- “Education from a Gardner’s Perspective” with Dr. Christson Adedoyin, Samford University, and Dr. Eric Kyere, Indiana University-Purdue University, at CSWE, held November 8-11, 2018 in Orlando.
Brian Brewer, PhD
- “The Anabaptists” (a chapter) in Martin Luther in Context, p. 375-82, 2018.
Robert Creech, PhD
- Family Systems and Congregational Life: A Map for Ministry, February 2019.
David Garland, PhD
- The Gospel of Luke. Zondervan Exegetical Commentary. (Korean Translation), 2018. n A Theology of Mark. Biblical Theology of the New Testament. (Korean Translation), 2018. n Acts. Teach the Text Commentary Series., 2018.
- “Mishnah Zabim and Mark 5:21–6:6a: The Rules on Purity” (a chapter) in Reading Mark in Context: Jesus and Second Temple Judaism, 2018.
Angela Gorrell, PhD
- Always On: Practicing Faith in a New Media Landscape, May 2019.
Joel Gregory, PhD
- “Spurgeon’s Resignation from the British Baptist Union: A Microhistory of First Responders” in Baptist History and Heritage, Vol. 53, p. 33-50, Fall 2018.
- “Annual Homiletical Lectureship” at Moody Bible Institute Homiletical Lectureship, held September 26-27, 2018 in Chicago. n “The Future of Preaching” at Evangelical Homiletics Society, held October 13, 2018 in New Orleans.
- “Contemporary Preaching” at James C. Cammack Institute of Preaching, held March 19-20, 2018 at Campbell University, North Carolina.
Rebecca Poe Hays, PhD
- “Review of J. Blake Couey and Elaine T. James, eds., ‘Biblical Poetry and the Art of Close Reading’” in Reading Religion, 2019.
- “Review of Joshua T. James’s ‘The Storied Ethics of the Thanksgiving Psalms’” in Journal of Theological Studies, 2019.
“Teaching the Psalms,” with Dr. William H. Bellinger, Jr., at Baylor University’s Academy of Teaching and Learning Tenth Anniversary Symposium, held October 2018 in Waco.
Angela H. Reed, PhD
- “Attending to Love: Companioning the Faith Community” at Mennonite Spiritual Directors National Retreat: Attending to Love: Within and Without, held May 8-10, 2018 at the Madonna Retreat Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- “Attending to Love: Offering the Gifts of Anabaptist Spiritual Direction” at Mennonite Spiritual Directors National Retreat: Attending to Love: Within and Without, held May 8-10, 2018 at the Madonna Retreat Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- “How Can Seminaries Tell That Students Have Been Spiritually Formed? Challenges and Recent Developments in The Assessment of Spiritual Formation among Seminary Students” at Experiencing Life with God, held May 15-20, 2018 at the Martin Institute at Westmont University.
- “Money and Ministry: Creating a Culture of Prayerful Reflection for Financial Well-Being” at Rethinking Stewardship: From Solemn Obligation to Inspired Choice, held July 25-27, 2018 at Luther Seminary.
- “Rediscovering Mysticism: Theological Foundations for Contemporary Spiritual Practices” at Mysticism and Contemporary Life: A Conference in Honor of Bernard McGinn, held October 11-13, 2018 at the Oblate School of Theology. n “Thinking Theologically about the Economics of Ministry” with Dr. James Hudnut-Beumler, Vanderbilt University, Dr. Iva Carruthers, Samuel DeWitt Proctor Conference, and Dr. Mark Markuly, School of Theology and Ministry at Seattle University, at Lilly Endowment National Summit on the Economics of Ministry, held January 16-18, 2019 at the Center for Congregations, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- “A mixed-methods investigation into the impact of shame on financial debt and the spiritual life of a diverse sample of seminary students,” co-authored by Dr. David Wang, Biola University, and Dr. Allan Rudy-Froese, Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary, at Lilly Endowment National Summit on the Economics of Ministry, held January 16-18, 2019 at the Center for Congregations, Indianapolis, Indiana.
John White, PhD
- Sport and Spirituality, 2019, with co-author Dr. Scott Kretchmar, Penn State University.
- Sacramentally Imagining Sports as a Form of Worship: Reappraising Sport as a Gesture of God, 2019.
- “The Public Health Crisis of Concussions and the Black Athlete: Black Bodies and Brains Matter” at Black Student-Athlete Summit, held January 9-11, 2019 at the University of Texas.
David Wilhite, PhD
- “Donatism of History: Recent Questions” in Journal of Ecclesiastical History, Vol. 69, p. 1-5, 2018. n “Africa” in Brill Encyclopedia of Early Christianity, 2019.
- “Africa” in Encyclopedia of the Bible and its Reception, 2019.
- “Who is the Good Shepherd? Answers from Early African Sources” at North American Patristic Society Annual Meeting, held May 2018 in Chicago. n “Oden’s (Re-)Discovery of Ancient African Christianity” at City of God Rediscovered: A Symposium in Honor of Thomas C. Oden, held November 9-10, 2018 in New York, New York.
- “Reading Jesus as YHWH in the Old Testament: From Mark’s Gospel to Justin Martyr” with Dr. Adam Winn, University of Mary-Hardin Baylor, at Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, held November 17, 2018 in Denver.
- “Panel Review of G. Smith, Guilt by Association (Oxford Press, 2015)” at Nag Hammadi and Gnosticism Section of the Society of Biblical Literature, held November 20, 2018 in Denver, Colorado.
- “Ancient African Christianity” at Houston Metropolitan Baptist Ministers Conference, held November 26, 2018 in Houston. n “Ancient African Christianity” at Reading Theology African Initiative, held December 4, 2018 in Biola University.
- “Jesus and YHWH: Two De-Judaizing Trajectories of Marcion and Justin” at Westar Institute, held March 23, 2019 in Santa Rosa, California.
- “Jesus in The Infancy Gospel of ‘the Israelite’ and the God of Israel” at Oxford International Patristics Conference, held August 2019 in University of Oxford.
Terry York, DMA
- “Beyond All Time” (Choral Anthem) in Octavo by Celebrating Grace Publishing Co., 2018, with co-author Vicki Courtney.
- “Silent Amen” (Anthem) in Octavo by Hal Leonard Publishing Company, 2018, with co-author David Schwoebel. n “All Things” (Anthem) in Octavo by Hal Leonard Publishing Company, 2018, with co-author Joel Raney.
- “Source of Music” (Anthem) in Octavo by Hal Leonard Publishing Company, 2018, with co-authors John Purifoy and Kathy Johnson.
- “One” (Anthem) in Octavo by Hal Leonard Publishing Company, 2018, with co-author Mark Hayes.
- “Sing Community, Sing Peace” in Choral Journal, January 2019.
- “Church Administration: The Business of Ministry and Servant Leadership,” with Jan Cason, Financial Manager at Academic Seminar, Northrise University, held July 16-26, 2018 in Ndola, Zambia.
- “Church Administration: The Business of Ministry and Servant Leadership,” with Jan Cason, Financial Manager, at Pastors’ Conferences, held May 14-23, 2018 in Accra and Kumasi, Ghana.
- “Sing Community, Sing Peace” at National Conference of the American Choral Directors Association, Ecumenical Worship Service, held March 1, 2019 in Kansas City, Missouri.