Join our AmeriCorps VISTA team!
Baylor University’s Texas Hunger Initiative is looking for individuals to be a part of our Hunger Free Communities Corps, get people to work together, and affect large-scale, positive change. The application deadline is July 24 with an August 20 start date. Positions are available in Houston, Lubbock, McAllen, Waco, and Oklahoma City, OK. We also have an opening for a VISTA Leader, available to individuals that have successfully completed at least one, full AmeriCorps VISTA term. Individuals ready to be a part of this work should apply to be an AmeriCorps VISTA today—we have a limited number of positions available!
1. Submit an interest form.
2. Complete an application for the region you're interested in:
3. Be sure to check your email inbox and/or spam folder for an email from an address ending in "@baylor.edu." If you have questions, email Jared_Gould@baylor.edu.
What past VISTAs say...
"My year as a VISTA has changed my life more than any other experience thus far. During my VISTA year, I learned so much about where my passions lie and what my skills are, all while serving a community I cared deeply about. My VISTA experience was incredibly valuable when I applied for grad schools and when I had job interviews."—Wesley Gaddie, U.S. Department of Agriculture-School Meal Programs Policy Analyst
"I wanted to get real experience at a nonprofit, and the VISTA program allows an immersive experience where you can really learn to help others at the community level."—Riya Rahman, Youth Engagement Coordinator, No Kid Hungry
"Food is necessary for everyone. If you believe everyone deserves access to nutritious food then, you should join THI’s mission to create food equity for all Texans. THI stands firmly for this cause, is deliberate in its approach to leveling the field and committed to the long game.”"—Wyonella Henderson-Greene, Coalition Coordinator, Texas Hunger Initiative - Dallas
What you could do...
AmeriCorps VISTA members of the Baylor University Hunger Free Communities Corps will work to bring people and organizations together to increase access to healthy food in communities across Texas. Job duties could include:
- Coordinating child nutrition advocates to develop collective impact strategies to increase student participation in school meal programs.
- Conducting a community assessment to identify assets, capacities, and abilities of individuals, institutions and associations in a given community.
- Give presentations to community members and organizations.
- Identify potential new partnerships/networks to strengthen the coalition in order to nurture relationships, connecting leadership of coalitions with other organizations/individuals.
- Utilize social media to engage the broader community in collaborative work to combat hunger.
VISTA Leaders will...
- Learn about THI’s Hunger Free Communities plan and how it fits into the organization’s overall mission to end hunger;
- Communicate with site supervisors across the state to learn about and support VISTAs in each regional office;
- Establish a communication and support plan for each VISTA member;
- Assess and respond to member needs regarding site relations and project-related issues;
- Plan VISTA member development and training to help them become successful in their work plans and to gain the skills and experience for long-term career success;
- Develop opportunities to recognize, encourage and celebrate VISTA accomplishments;
- Assist with recruitment of new VISTA members and the long-term sustainability of the Baylor University-Hunger Free Communities Corps VISTA program.
The AmeriCorps VISTA Leader position will be located in Dallas.
Benefits of AmeriCorps VISTA
- Living Allowance: Receive a modest bi-weekly living allowance to cover basic expenses.
- Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE): NCE is a unique hiring path which makes it easier for federal agencies to hire you.
- Relocation Allowance: If you move 50+ miles from your home to a new community, you receive relocation travel assistance and a settling-in allowance.
- Professional Development Training: Attend in-person and virtual professional development opportunities throughout the year.
- End of Service Award: Choose between a Segal Education Award ($5,815) to pay for a range of education expenses or a cash stipend ($1,500).
- Child Care: You may be eligible to receive a child care benefit if you have children under the age of 13.
- Healthcare Benefit: Choose between reimbursement for healthcare or a healthcare plan. Dental and vision are also included.