Apply to be a VISTA Summer Associate!
What are VISTA Summer Associates?
are AmeriCorps VISTA members working with he Texas Hunger Initiative regional staff (THI) to increase participation in the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) across the state. They work on a variety of tasks that can include, but aren't limited to, creating strategic plans, designing outreach materials, developing nutrition education materials, and implementing creative activities for children at Summer Meal sites.
What is the Summer Food Service Program?
During the school year there are 2.8 million Texas students on the free or reduced lunch program, which provides breakfast and lunch five days a week. These students often go without consistent meals on the weekends and holidays. The summer break is a particularly difficult time for such students when those meals are no longer provided. This lack of access to adequate nutrition has been linked to poorer academic performance, which can easily perpetuate the vicious cycle of poverty. Fortunately, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) enables organizations active in low-income communities to offer free meals to children who might otherwise go hungry during the summer break.
What are the locations for the position?
We currently have a position available in:
- San Angelo
What are the dates for the program?
- 8-week term beginning June 4
- Priority application deadline: May 9, 2018
What are the benefits?
- Monthly stipend
- Education award that can be used toward tuition or loans OR an end-of-service stipend
- A pool of resources for netowrking—at Baylor and with anti-hunger/povery organizations in Texas and nationwide
to read more about the benefits of serving with AmeriCorps VISTA!
How do I apply?
- Complete this survey to list out your preferences for service. (Please note: this does NOT guarantee your selection for placement.)
- Complete an AmeriCorps VISTA application for your preferred region(s):.
For more information, contact Jared Gould.