Expectations for Events Involving Informational Displays
Baylor University and the Department of Student Activities value the promotion of ideas in a manner that is consistent with the University’s mission for the purposes of education. Within this context, a chartered student organization may host an informational display as long as the display maintains the dignity of, and is consistent with, the mission of Baylor University and does not infringe on the rights of others. Additionally, any chartered student organization planning to host an informational display must adhere to the expectations as noted:
- Student organization informational display must be registered with the Department of Student Activities through the online Event Registration form within the Connect system at least one week in advance and follow all guidelines as requested by Student Activities in the event approval notice. The Director of Student Activities, or their designee, will serve to coordinate University resources to support the display in accordance with University protocols.
- Displays must not violate local, state, or federal laws, or University policy and displays must not disrupt Baylor University functions, impede the educational mission of the institution, or impede access to or use of campus facilities.
- In order to avoid significant disruption of University functions, participants may not employ amplified sound in their displays.
- Displays are prohibited from using open flames/torches per University fire code guidelines.
- All messaging (signage, leaflets, or other distributable or displayable materials) may be subject to review by the Department of Student Activities.
- The name and contact information of the host student organization will be posted at the display site by the Department of Student Activities.
- The University reserves the right to control time, place, message, and manner of the display, and displays are encouraged to be planned in outside locations.
- Commercial activity is outside the scope of displays and must adhere to established solicitation policies.
- The Department of Student Activities and/or designated University personnel may intervene as appropriate for violations related to informational displays.