Removal of an Advisor
The Department of Student Activities reserves the right to remove an advisor from his or her role with a student organization should circumstances require such action. Grounds for removal of an advisor include but may not be limited to:
- Inappropriate behavior and/or language
- Behavior that violates University policy and/or procedure
- Direct knowledge of hazing incidents and/or failure to report such incidents
- Direct knowledge of, advocacy for, and/or participation in illegal activities and/or behavior
- Behavior resulting in unreasonable and/or unnecessary risk for students
Student organizations may have the right to remove an advisor from his or her role with the organization. Should a student organization believe it is in the best interest of the organization to remove an advisor, the following steps should be taken:
- Student organization leadership meets with the advisor to address and explain any concerns regarding the advisor’s role in the organization.
- Student organization leadership and advisor agree on a specified period of time for the concerns to be properly addressed.
- If concerns are not addressed adequately, then the organization must submit a request to remove the advisor to the Department of Student Activities. Formal requests must include reasons and justifications for the removal.
- Only after approval from the Department of Student Activities may an organization inform an advisor that he or she has been removed from his or her responsibilities and/or affiliation with the organization.