The Department of Student Activities, Department of Multicultural Affairs, and the Academy for Leader Development have come together to offer various organization, individual, and advisor awards. Descriptions of and applications for these awards are below.
Application Deadline for all awards is Wednesday, April 15 at 5:00pm.
Student Organization Awards (Apply for all in one place!)
- The Excellence in Cross-Cultural Collaboration Award will be given to the organization that demonstrates that cross-cultural partnerships, engagement, and support are important ways to build relationships and embrace the cultures of others within the Baylor community. This organization must demonstrate how they collaboratively worked with either other organizations or offices on campus to promote common understanding and celebration of diversity.
- The Excellence in Innovation Award is presented to an organization that has made a significant effort to pursue new or innovative ideas in the last year. Organizational Innovators could be an organization that tried new recruitment strategies, revamped their existing programs, developed new initiatives, or thought outside of the box in any other capacity to enhance and/or expand their impact on individual students or the university as a whole.
- The purpose of the Multicultural Excellence Award is to recognize one organization each year that upholds the mission statement of the Department of Multicultural Affairs, “To enrich the holistic development of each student by encouraging them to celebrate their personal heritage and embrace the cultures of others.” The Department of Multicultural Affairs will determine honorees based upon organizational responses to essay questions, interviews, and recommendations.
- The Outstanding Student Group in Educational Awareness Award is an award presented to a student group that successfully engages the campus community by generating awareness, support, and positive action toward a particular social issue(s). This award was created with the goal of recognizing the outstanding work that our student groups do in engaging in global issues and becoming global citizens who care about social issues around the world.
- The Outstanding Student Group in Philanthropy Award is an award presented to a student organization that successfully engages the campus community by generating tangible support and funds toward a philanthropic cause. This award is given to organizations that have demonstrated excellence in regard to engaging in these causes and working collaboratively to make a difference.
- The Outstanding Student Group in Community Service Award is given annually to a student group to provide special recognition for their valuable contributions of service to the Waco community. This award is given to organizations that have demonstrated excellence regarding the impact, quality, relationship, context, and learning aspects of service.
- The Student Organization of the Year Award seeks to recognize one organization each year that has demonstrated true excellence among its peers within the University community. The Department of Student Activities will determine honorees based upon organizational responses to essay questions and recommendations.
- The Outstanding New Organization Award recognizes a group that has been chartered within the last three academic years for their outstanding accomplishments through out the year and made a significant contribution to the Baylor community.
Individual Leadership and Service Awards (Apply for all in one place!)
- The Award for Outstanding Female Student in Community Service is given annually to a current Baylor female student to provide special recognition for her individual contribution of time, talent, and commitment to the Waco community.
- The John S. Belew Award for Outstanding Male Student in Community Service is given annually to a current Baylor male student to provide special recognition for his individual contribution of time, talent and effort in the Waco community.
- The Outstanding Advocate Award is given annually to a current Baylor student, to provide special recognition for his or her individual contribution of time, effort, and passion towards raising awareness and mobilizing the Waco and Baylor community.
- The Outstanding Service Chair Award is given annually to a current Baylor student who serves in the office of Service, Philanthropy, or Community Chair or an equivalent position for his or her student group. This award is intended to provide special recognition for an individual Baylor student's leadership as demonstrated through engaging the group's members in service, establishing new and innovative service initiatives and fostering a culture of responsible and informed engagement within their group.
- The Behind the Scenes Leader Award* is presented to an individual who in some unique and significant way contributed to his/her organization or the Baylor University community as a whole. It is broad in its reach and by design meant to recognize those not usually recognized through traditional awards criteria. The nominee must have contributed behind the scenes with their skills, time, and effort towards furthering the vision, mission, and strategy of the Department of Multicultural Affairs through their service to the University or their chosen organization.
- The Emerging Leader Award* will be given to an individual in their first or second year in an organization. The person selected will best exemplify student leadership through the impact they have made in their organization or the Baylor University community. The individual who receives this award should reflect the goals and values of the Department of Multicultural Affairs. Additionally, the individual should clearly display attributes of a great role model, impact the lives of those they are in contact with, and demonstrate a great deal of leadership potential.
- The Multicultural Excellence Award* is to recognize one individual each year that upholds the mission statement of the Department of Multicultural Affairs, “To enrich the holistic development of each student by encouraging them to celebrate their personal heritage and embrace the cultures of others.” The Department of Multicultural Affairs will determine honorees based upon responses to essay questions by the nominator(s),interviews with the nominees, and recommendations.
*These awards offered by Multicultural Affairs are nomination based and should be submitted by somebody other than the nominee.
Student Organization Advisor Awards (Apply for both in one place!)
- The Multicultural Affairs Outstanding Advisor recognizes the advisor that goes above-and-beyond to support their student organization. Qualified nominees are invested in the development of each member, maintain a consistent presence within their organization, and provide appropriate guidance to the organizational leadership.
- The Student Activities Student Organization Advisor of the Year recognizes a faculty or staff advisor to a student organization who has made a significant contribution to both the student members and the organization as a whole.