The following are general building guidelines and procedures for the Bill Daniel Student Center which are to be followed by all guests of the building. Student and professional staff of the Student Union are responsible for the enforcement of these guidelines. The purpose of these guidelines is to ensure that the property and facilities of the BDSC are used safely and responsibly for the educational, cultural, spiritual, and social benefit of the Baylor community.
Reserving a Room
1. Decide with your organization exactly what you need. Information should include:
- Contact person, phone, email.
- Type of event (ie: dinner, meeting, etc.).
- Approximate number of people expected to attend.
- Length of event (date and time) Note: Events and meetings are limited to 3hrs max. Barfield is not limited to 2hrs max.
- Necessary room setup or type of room you will require.
- AV equipment, if any, you may need to use in the BDSC.
- Events may reserve up to 3 different dates per week in the SUB.
2. New Reservations or Changes to current reservations:
- Reservations may be requested 12 months in advance.
- Reservations must be requested at least 3 business days in advance. Same day events will not be accepted.
- An event with 100 people or more must be made at least (10) ten business days in advance.
- Barfield reservations may not occur on Tuesdays between 2pm and 7pm in order to observe Dr Pepper Hour.
Reservations are requested online; see main Student Union Reservation Services page for links to Student Organization, BU Departments/Offices, or Non-Baylor groups for the appropriate procedure. Reservations are processed in the order in which they are received. When your reservation has been confirmed, you will receive an email confirmation from Baylor Connect Student Union staff. You may call 254.710.3211 to discuss your request with Student Union staff, Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, as arrangements for schedule changes and events are handled prior to 8:00 am and after 5:00 pm. Please note: The above are optimal time frames. Reservation requests made outside these parameters will still be considered, however room/equipment availability may be limited as a result of the decreased notice, and must receive approval from the Senior Coordinator of Student Union Events.
3. If the room you have requested is not available, an alternate room will be provided, based on room availability.
4. The Student Union reserves the right to change specific space requests to accommodate the needs of all groups requesting reservations.
The BDSC reserves the right to implement seasons where the spaces are unable to be reserved. BDSC Reservations are unavailable during these seasons each year:
- Fall/Winter: One week prior to Thanksgiving break through the rest of the semester. (Approved for President’s Christmas, Provost Commencement Luncheon, and Doctoral Dinner only).
- Spring: Diadeloso and one day prior.
- Summer: Reservations are approved for Baylor Line Camp and New Student Orientation only.
In order to prepare the Student Activities calendar, reservations will not be approved from June 1st – August 1st.
- Student Organizations must have events/meetings approved by Student Activities. Use the Organization Event Application located at Student Organization Online Event Registration.
- Once your organization’s event has been approved by Student Activities arrange to meet with Student Union Staff, 2nd Floor, BDSC or call 254.710.3211, to discuss event details.
Approval of an event by Student Activities does not guarantee space in the Bill Daniel Student Center. Final Approval is made by the Senior Coordinator of Student Union for Events, and is subject to availability and event activities scheduled in the building each day.
- If you wish to use building decorations to enhance your event, please contact the Assistant Director of Student Union, Jordy Dickey at email@example.com.
- You will not be charged for using the facility UNLESS money is being charged for the event (i.e. conference, symposium, etc.).
- For approved outdoor events, Student Organizations will need to work with ARAMARK for tables, chairs, trashcans, and hoses by requesting them in through Baylor Connect. Confirmation can be made by calling 254.710.1361 after your event request has been submitted.
Complete a BU Department Reservation Request. You will not be charged for using the facility UNLESS money is being charged for the event (i.e. conference, symposium, etc.) or if you request access to the facility prior to normal building hours. Room & Equipment Fees. If the room you have requested is not available, an alternate room, will be provided, based on availability.
Please contact Baylor Event Services at 254.710.4105 or firstname.lastname@example.org to begin reservation process for a specific room in the SUB or for help in finding a space to meet your needs. Rates will be charged to all outside (non-Baylor) groups even if the event sponsor/requestor is a Baylor employee or student (i.e. civic group). Room & Equipment Fees. If the room you have requested is not available, an alternate room, will be provided, based on availability.
Preserving Our Rooms and Capacity Notes
- As part of the Baylor family, please be respectful and use the furniture (or any other items) within these rooms with care.
- In compliance with City Fire Codes, each room has a maximum capacity based on the type of event. Candles and other flammable objects are not permitted in the building.
- 3rd Floor rooms – round tables are not permitted on the 3rd Floor.
We are flexible, and we want to help you in every way possible. Please let us know how we can be of assistance:
Reservations Desk on 2nd Floor
Student Union Staff
Office hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Normal building hours are:
- Monday – Thursday 7:00 am – 12 midnight
- Friday 7:00 am – 1:00 am
- Saturday 9:00 am – 1:00 am
- Sunday 2:00 pm – 11:00 pm
- Holiday hours and summer hours will vary according to calendar year.
- Extended hours will be granted for traditional campus-wide events (ie:Homecoming, Diadeloso, Steppin' Out, etc.) – with a fee.
- Approval to be in the Bill Daniel Student Center beyond normal building hours must be requested a month in advance from the Senior Coordinator of Student Union Events or the Assistant Director of Student Union at least fourteen (14) days prior to the event. Because of the heavy use of this facility, it is impossible for building personnel to grant this type of request during the time the event is actually occurring.
Reservation Changes, Cancelations, No-Shows
- Changes or cancellation of your reservation should be submitted a minimum of twelve (12) hours prior to scheduled date of reservation to BDSCReservations@baylor.edu and to Student Activities Office via the Student Organization Online Event Registration for student organizations or to Baylor Event Services 254.710.4105) for non-Baylor groups.
- If written cancellation is not received (a no-show violation), a group may lose its privileges for reserving space in the Bill Daniel Student Center.
Behavior & Participation
Use of the Bill Daniel Student Center and equipment is a privilege. Baylor community and guests shall respect the rights of others and display acceptable and appropriate behavior while using and/or participating in activities under the jurisdiction of the Bill Daniel Student Center. The Student Union staff reserves the right to refuse access, services or remove any individual(s) or group(s) whose behavior is in violation of University Standards of Conduct. In addition, the host group that is sponsoring events, meetings, etc. will be held responsible for the conduct of the individuals attending the event and will be held to the policies outlined in the University Standards of Conduct. Inappropriate behavior includes, but is not limited to:
- Failing to follow directions of Student Union staff and Baylor PD.
- Harassing or soliciting other patrons of the building while tabling.
- Failure to abide by all existing university contracts.
- Using space without authorization.
- Posing an unreasonable risk to health or safety to others.
- Exceeding room capacities.
- Using open flame or flammable liquids.
- Use of weapons or weapon facsimiles.
- Smoking, vaping and/or use of tobacco products.
- Use of alcohol at an event.
- Fronting - reserving a space on behalf of another organization.
- Unauthorized use of audio visual equipment.
- Willfully violating catering policies.
- Violation of the no-show or cancelation policy.
- Damage or destruction of property.
- Failure to pay invoices in a timely manner.
The Bill Daniel Student Center is committed to providing a safe and secure environment for its users and staff. Student Union staff will take appropriate action towards disruptive and/or destructive behavior. The following sanctions may be applied based on the severity of the behavior:
- An individual will be removed from an event or the event may be ended immediately.
- Future existing reservations will be suspended until the group or individual has met with the Senior Coordinator of Student Union Events or Assistant Director of Student Union to discuss the behavior. Corrective actions will be identified in order for the group or individual to resume use of the Bill Daniel Student Center.
- Group or individual is placed on reservation probation for a semester or academic year.
- Group or individual loses reservation privileges for a semester.
- Group or individual loses reservation privileges for the academic year.
- Event can no longer be hosted on University property.
- Group or individual loses privileges permanently.
• Events requiring amplified sound must not disturb other events within the BDSC or other academic buildings, (i.e.: concerts in the SUB Bowl). Should the event cause a disturbance, Student Union staff will contact the event sponsor to indicate when volume and/or other bothersome issues need to be adjusted. Any group who does not respect and comply with these requests will be asked to leave the building.
• If an event requires security, the group reserving the venue must submit the proper paperwork to Baylor DPS, 254.710.2222, who will confirm and provide appropriate personnel. Groups are responsible for any fee required by Baylor DPS. After submission of Baylor DPS paperwork, a copy of the Baylor DPS agreement must be submitted to the Coordinator of Student Union for Events.
- Any group requiring food services and/or tablecloths, trashcans must make arrangements with Catering Services of Baylor Dining Services, ext. 254.710.4762. The BDSC does not provide trashcans for events held inside of the building.
- Only Baylor departments and student organizations are allowed to bring in outside food, provided the caterer is one of the Approved Off -Campus Caterers, and must secure prior approval from Baylor Dining Services. Please contact Christie Gowdy, Director of Catering, 254.710.6919, or email@example.com.
- Catering is limited to the 1st and 2nd Floors of the BDSC. Baylor departments and student organizations desiring to have food on the 3rd floor will need approval from the Senior Coordinator of Student Union Event prior to the event.
- Written approval from Christie Gowdy for outside food must be submitted to the Senior Coordinator of Student Union Events along with appropriate approvals: Student Organization Online Event Registration & BU Department Reservation Request.
- Groups who have been approved to bring in outside food are responsible for cleaning up the food and all trash related to the event, using heavy duty trash bags and placing in the dumpster behind the Student Center. Failure to do so will result in suspension of building use privileges and charges.
- Alcohol is not allowed on Baylor University premises and therefore is not allowed in the BDSC.
- The person responsible for the event should check the room/building immediately upon taking possession and immediately after the event to look for items that are broken or any obvious damage. Report damages immediately to the Senior Coordinator of Student Union Events, 2nd Floor, (8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday) or the Evening/Weekend student assistant, 2nd Floor (after 5:00 pm and on weekends).
- The Senior Coordinator of Student Union Events or the Evening/Weekend student assistant will verify any damages and make alternate arrangements that are required if the damages are noticed and reported before the event.
- If, during the course of the event, accidental damage does occur, it should be reported immediately to the Senior Coordinator of Student Union Events or the Evening/Weekend student assistant, so that arrangements can be made for cleanup and restitution.
- Damage to any room/space/furnishings and/or equipment by a group will result in appropriate charges, based on fair market cost of replacement/repair/additional cleaning to the BDSC property or equipment.
- Group will be notified, in writing, of the damages. A conference will be held with group representatives, Assistant Director of Student Union, Senior Coordinator of Student Union Events, and Supervisor of Baylor Housekeeping to determine the extent of damages. An invoice will be sent to the group to make restitution.
- In all cases (cleaning or damages) no further reservations will be accepted until damages are paid in full.
- Only all-university dances will be allowed. Dances must follow the procedures as prescribed by the Policies for On-Campus Dances that may be obtained from the Department of Student Activities by completing the Student Organization Online Event Registration
- Due to fire safety regulations, candles, open flames, etc. are not allowed in the BDSC.
- All decorations must be pre-approved by the Senior Coordinator of Student Union Events. The use of tape, tacks, nails, and staples will deteriorate and/or damage walls, floors, windows, doors, ceiling, mirrors, and paintings--therefore they are not allowed in the BDSC. Arrangements must be made with the Coordinator of Student Union Events about methods for putting up/hanging of objects/and taking down of any decorations before the event takes place.
- The use of flammable materials, such as straw, hay, and evergreens is prohibited.
- Painting is not allowed in any room.
- No crepe paper, tissue paper, paper ribbon, glitter, or confetti may be used.
- Nothing may be placed on chandeliers.
- Paintings, framed prints, artifacts and furniture are not to be moved from the walls or rooms.
- Aerosols are not allowed (i.e., no spray glue, spray paint, etc.)
- Lightweight banners may be displayed in archways of Barfield Drawing Room using wooden rods (6'11" width) between the arches which are available from the reservations office. Organizations may rent special piping/draping thru Action Rentals to fit dimensions of (10’ width) between the arches.
- Banners outside the BDSC are allowed only if ordered through the Baylor Chamber of Commerce, located on the basement floor BDSC, 254.710.3322.
- Nothing is to be placed on any of the grand pianos in any room.
- Drinking cups should only be placed on tables that have tablecloth protection to reduce risk of drinks leaving rings on the furniture.
Any violation of the above guidelines will result in a damage charge and/or loss of building use privileges. For more information, please view the Holiday and Event Decorations Policy, in Baylor's fire safety procedures.
Please follow the instructions of the staff member when asked to leave the building in the event of a disaster, fire, etc.
- Fire Code Guidelines – Student Union personnel will limit the number of people for an event if attendance becomes overcrowded beyond safety code limits.
- Any event that violates any Bill Daniel Student Center or University policy, or municipal, state, or federal law may be discontinued at the discretion of the Student Union staff and Baylor DPS.
Furniture, Equipment, Storage
- Bill Daniel Student Center furniture and equipment may not be moved or removed from the premises without prior approval from the Senior Coordinator of Student Union Events or Assistant Director of Student Union.
- Request for technical equipment or services must be made with appropriate approvals: Student Organization Online Event Registration or BU Department Reservation Request in order to allow sufficient scheduling arrangements. For Non-Baylor groups wanting equipment, please contact Baylor Event Services at 254.710.4105 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- There is no storage area in the building. All equipment and materials must be moved in and out of the building by the time set by the Senior Coordinator of Student Union Events.
Liability of Organization & Guests
Groups reserving rooms within the building are responsible for making sure that each guest is abiding by the building guidelines. Groups will be held accountable for any alterations or damages to building property and/or equipment. The Student Union reserves the right to inspect and control all functions. The Student Union will not assume responsibility for the damage to, or loss of, any personal property.
- Any articles/belongings found in the Bill Daniel Student Center will be taken to the Student Union Reservations Office on the 2nd Floor, Room 206.
- If a personal possession is stolen or an incident takes place during an event, please contact Student Union personnel 254.710.3211 and Baylor DPS 254.710.2222 for security and to file a report.
Photo Sessions & Composites
- All photography/composites for student organizations must be approved by the Department of Student Activities by completing the Student Organization Online Event Registration before approval is requested from the Senior Coordinator of Student Union Events.
- The approved Organization Event Application for the photography/composites must be submitted to the Coordinator of Student Union Events, with a completed Student Organization Online Event Registration or BU Department Reservation Request before a space for the photographer will be arranged.
Approval of a photographer by Student Activities does not guarantee space in the Bill Daniel Student Center. Final approval is made by the Senior Coordinator of Student Union Events and is subject to availability and event activities scheduled in the building each day.
Poster/Flier/Table Tent Distribution Procedures
- Prior to posting, the Department of Student Activities must approve all posters/fliers/table tents. The office is located on 1st floor of Bill Daniel Student Center. You are required to have your poster/flyer/table tent approved prior to copying. (Upon approval, your poster/flyer/table tent will be stamped on the front to indicate its “approved” status). Only materials of registered/recognized clubs, organizations, and Baylor departments will be allowed to be posted. The name of the sponsoring club/organization/department must be on the flyer/poster/table tent.
- Table Tents may be posted in the 1st floor lobby, Bear Food Court, and Den Table areas. Additionally, table tents in the Bear Food Court area must be approved by Megan Chase from Baylor Dining Services, 254.710.4661 or email@example.com.
- Fliers may NOT be posted on walls, glass doors, computer stations, bathrooms, or any other location other than the aforementioned 1st Floor lobby bulletin boards in the Bill Daniel Student Center.
- Organizations are responsible to take down their outdated fliers.
- Fliers that are posted in violation of these procedures will be removed and destroyed.
- Please feel free to contact the Student Union staff with any questions at 254.710.3211.
Prohibited Items & Activities
- Animals, with the exception of service animals.
- Bicycles, skateboards, hooverboards and roller blades. Bicycles must be secured to the provided racks outside the premises.
- Firearms of any kind.
- Illegal drugs or other illicit substances
- Outside business solicitations. Appropriate action will be taken to remove violators from the premises by Baylor DPS.
- Smoking and vaping is banned in all University facilities.
- Smoking and vaping outside of the Bill Daniel Student Center must be at least 30 feet away from the premises.
- Unauthorized publications and postings (See Poster/Flier Procedure).
Security officers from Baylor DPS may be required for some events and are mandatory for dances held in the Bill Daniel Student Center based on the University Dance policy. Service fees are the sole responsibility of the organization sponsoring the event. Those services are secured by the organization by contacting Baylor DPS at 254.710.2222.