WACO, Texas---This semester, Student Senate allocated $75,000 from the Student Government Allocation Fund to over 15 student organizations for events that contribute to the student life experience at Baylor.
The largest amount of money allocated went to Kappa Omega Tau, who received $21,432 for their annual KOT Christmas Tree Lighting. Brothers Under Christ (BYX) received the second-largest allocation, with $10,000 for their annual Island Party.
Other student organizations that received funding:
- Phi Gamma Delta, $3,627.75 for Fiji Fright Nights
- Pi Beta Phi and Kappa Omega Tau, $4,550 for All-University Howdy
- Delta Sigma Theta, $3,700 for the Delta Step Show
- Gamma Alpha Omega, $3,544 for the Baylor University Latina Awareness Conference
- Baylor Religious Hour choir, $3,620 for Christmas on 5th Street
- Phi Iota Alpha, $5,000 for the Miss Phi I A Scholarship Pageant
- African Student Association, $3,667.99 for the Cultural Extravaganza
At mid-semester, Student Government started a new process in which organizations that receive money for their respective events must visibly recognize the Student Government Allocation Fund (SGAF).
A document titled, "SGAF Allocation Branding Requirements," is now given to every student organization that is allocated money and lists four sponsorship levels with their requirements. Depending on the sponsorship level, these organizations must give recognition to the SGAF on T-shirts, banners, flyers, programs, verbal announcements, and more.
According to Student Government Communications Director Sara Martisek, the purpose of the branding requirements was to make more people aware of the fund and how they, too, can obtain funding for their organization's event.
"In just the first year of its implementation, we're beginning to see more organizations come to us with funding requests," said Martisek. "I think a lot of that new interest (in the SGAF) can be attributed to these changes. It's been an exciting process to be a part of."
Organizations wishing to request funding from the Student Government Allocation Fund can do so through the Student Government Web site at https://www.baylor.edu/sg/sgaf.