Professional Licensure Information

Baylor School of Education offers several programs typically leading to professional licensure or certification. Click the links to see professional licensure disclosure information for each one. These links provide information about program compliance with licensure standards in all U.S. states and are particularly important references for students who believe they may not choose to practice or teach in the state of Texas. 

Educator Certification
Applies to SOE programs that prepare for licensing for teachers (BSEd, MAT), principals (MA School Leadership), and superintendents (EdD in K-12 Educational Leadership)

Educational Psychology
Applies to licensure programs in Applied Behavior Analysis

Educational Specialist
Applies to programs leading to licensure as a School Psychologist

General Information:

Background- Baylor University offers several programs leading to professional licensure within the State of Texas.  States vary in what professions they require to be licensed and how licensure functions.  Some states require an individual to graduate from an approved program.  Others require an individual to “meet [the] certification requirements of a national organization”.  A specific amount of training can also be required as well as passage of an exam based on a state requisite exam score.  Often, licensed professionals must complete continuing education on an annual basis (National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, 2018).

State Authorization- Baylor is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA) which allows us to provide distance learning programs (both online and in the form of supervised field experiences) and coursework to residents of states other than Texas.  NC-SARA membership, however, does not grant reciprocity or exempt us from state professional licensing requirements.  As a result, licensing requirements in Texas may not be recognized as sufficient to obtain a license in any other state.

Relocation- Relocating while in the course of a program to another state may have impacts if the student can remain in the program, meet the state licensure requirements and/or continue to receive financial aid funding. Prior to considering relocation, please complete the Location Form and contact your program advisor to discuss authorization and licensure eligibility requirements. 

International Students- Prior to enrolling in any program at Baylor University, prospective students living and/or working outside of the United States should confirm with the appropriate certifying agency whether successful completion of any degree program at Baylor will meet the credentialing requirements of the country in which they intend to seek employment, as to certain types of employment or for advanced/specialized educational programs.

Students Responsibility- Students should review the specific academic requirements for the program in which they are enrolling, including those related to practicum/internship as well as pre-qualifications for licensure such as the need for a criminal background check. We highly recommend that students contact the applicable licensure board(s) in their state of residence or in the state where they intend to obtain a license before beginning an academic program that results in licensure and prior to beginning any internship/practicum. Many licensure boards have additional requirements beyond successful degree completion to obtain a license. Please be advised that state laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time. Changes in requirements can impact the program's ability to meet educational requirements for licensure. It is the responsibility of the student completing the licensure program to check with the licensing board(s) in their state of residence or in the state in which they intend to obtain a license for the most recent information and requirements. Baylor shall not be held liable if the student is unable to qualify for licensure or certification in any jurisdiction or cannot obtain a practicum/internship location.

Information about all of BU’s programs leading to licensure can be found here:

Professional Licensure Disclosure by Program