MA in Teaching (MAT)
The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) is a residential program offering initial teacher certification. The MAT adheres to Baylor’s national award-winning teacher-education model, providing thorough preparation through a program rich in faculty-guided field-based experiences.
The MAT is ideal for graduates of Baylor and other universities with a bachelor's degree or significant coursework in the content areas listed below and offers training for initial teacher certification. Initial certification in other levels is also available.
To be fully admitted to the program, applicants must be accepted BOTH by the Baylor Graduate School and by the School of Education as an MAT candidate. A passing score on the TExES content exam (state certification exam) is also required for full admission as a candidate in the School of Education MAT Educator Preparation Program.
Applicants must apply FIRST to Baylor Graduate School. Once the application is submitted to the Graduate School, applicants will receive detailed information via email about how to complete the process through the School of Education.
For questions about the MAT process or program, please contact
Dr. Suzanne Nesmith, Associate Dean
MAT Graduate Program Director
Certification Options in the MAT program:
- Secondary Education (Grades 7-12 content-specific certification / 6-12 for physical science certification): SLE
- Middle Grades Education (Grades 4-8 content-specific certification): MLE
- Elementary (EC-6) Education (Early Childhood – Grade 6 General Education certification): ELE
- Special Education (All-Level Special Education certification): SEDA
- Twice Exceptionalities (All-Level Special Education and Gifted-Talented Supplemental certifications): TWE
Content Areas for Middle and Secondary Certification*
- Business and Finance
- English (English Language Arts and Reading)
- Life Science (Biology)
- Physical Science (Chemistry and/or Physics)
- Social Studies
*Applicants must have 24 hours of coursework, with at least 12 hours at the 3,000 or 4,000 level, in the content area to pursue Middle or Secondary Education.