PhD in Higher Education Studies & Leadership (HESL)
The Baylor HESL program is a full-time program for those who desire to have a meaningful, lasting influence on higher education. The program offers a balance of research, academic rigor and hands-on professional experience to prepare scholars and practitioners for careers in leadership.
The program is ideal for students who hold a master’s degree and want to study higher education to become senior leaders or faculty members at colleges and universities.
The program offers:
- Small enrollment numbers in cohorts which begin each fall
- Focus on great mentorship
- Support, camaraderie and debate as students come together from across the nation
- 20-hour per week apprenticeships that give students hands-on experience in higher education
- Integration of faith and learning into the curriculum
The PhD program offers full tuition coverage and a stipend for the 20-hour per week apprenticeship.
Applications are due Feb. 1 for fall admission. However, applicants are strongly encouraged to fill out the initial application (statement of purpose, etc.) immediately, and then work toward filling in the rest of the application (test scores, letters of recommendation, etc.). Because GRE scores and letters of recommendation can be "plugged into" the application at any time, applicants do not need to have all parts complete before applying.
Typical time to completion is 3 years of coursework and 1-2 years for the dissertation. Total hours of courses required is 72, including
- Higher Education core: 15 hours
- Studies and Leadership in Higher Education: 18 hours
- Research and Statistics: 15 hours
- Electives or Independent Studies: 6 hours
- Cognate or Independent Studies: 6 hours
- Research Internship: 3 hours
- Dissertation: 9 hours
Between 2014 and 2018, the PhD students in the Baylor HESL program have published 14 peer reviewed journal articles, 2 book chapters, and 6 book reviews. In addition, they have given over 46 conference presentations at professional conferences.
Perry L. Glanzer, PhD
Professor of Educational Foundations
One Bear Place #97312
Waco, Texas 76798-7312