The Model School
In 1912 a model school opened on the Baylor campus under the supervision of faculty member Lillie L. Martin, an instructor in primary methods. For $10 per term Martin taught local children reading, writing, spelling, handwork, weaving, carving and designing. A proponent of practical education and demonstration courses, Martin drew upon some Montessori methods when teaching. Popular on campus, Martin proved to be a long lasting presence on campus and even hosted story hours for Baylor students on Fridays during the summers.