The Garland School of Social Work requires applicants have either a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or proof of equivalent training at a foreign institution of higher learning.
International applicants are citizens or permanent residents of a country to which they intend to return other than the United States must submit a completed application which includes:
- GoGarland Online Application
- $45 Application Fee
- GSSW Financial Aid Form
- CSS International Profile
- Letters of recommendation: At least one of your three letters of recommendation should come from an academic professor who has direct knowledge of your academic work.
- Transcripts from all college level institutions that were attended. Transcripts should include a yearly or semester records from each college or university attended that indicate the number of lecture and/or laboratory hours per week, per course, and the grade received in each course.
- Diplomas/Proof of Degree/Academic Certificates is required for each degree you have received. The documents will include the title and date of the degree conferred.
- International applicants must demonstrate English-language proficiency by submitting either the TOEFL or IELTS scores to Baylor using Institution Code: 6032
- Minimum score required for English Language Proficiency are:
- TOEFL minimum score: Paper: 550; Computer: 213; Internet: 80
- IELTS minimum score: 6.5
Exceptions for the English language requirement include:
- You have a conferred degree from an accredited U.S. institution.
- You are a citizen of a country in which English is the primary official language.
- You received a degree in a country in which English is the primary official language.
- You received your degree from an international government-recognized/accredited school where all courses were taught in English.
Students pursuing the MSW degree are also required to obtain a baccalaureate degree which includes coursework that demonstrates a strong liberal arts background including:
- Statistics (3 semester hours) OR by taking and passing the online GSSW statistics course
Note: Students admitted to the MSW program are expected to complete the prerequisite requirement prior to their New Student Orientation.
For more information regarding the prerequisite requirement or information about the GSSW statistics exam, contact the School of Social Work via email at MSW_Admissions@baylor.edu
Our admissions coordinators are proficient in reviewing academic records from different educational systems from around the world. If however the coordinator is unable to verify the accreditation status or authenticity of academic documents, etc. the applicant may be asked either to provide supplemental information, or to obtain an evaluation from WES (World Education Services). Please allow up to seven business days for WES to complete their evaluation and request all official evaluations to be sent to:
Garland School of Social Work
One Bear Place, #97320
Waco, Texas 76798-7320
OR via email at MSW_Admissions@baylor.edu
For additional information and specific helps on understanding the many processes, regulations, and timelines for international students, please visit Center for Global Engagement.