Request for Independent Student Status

Most traditional college students are considered financially dependent on their parents. This means your parents must provide information on the FAFSA. In unusual circumstances, a student who would normally be considered dependent can be considered independent.

Do any of these situations apply to you?

  • have no contact with your parents and do not know where they are (and you have not been adopted by someone else)
  • have left home due to an abusive family environment (e.g., sexual, physical, or mental abuse)
  • incarceration or institutionalization of parent(s)
  • an unsuitable household (e.g., removed from the household and placed in foster care)

Next Step:

If you believe that you have a compelling reason(s) to be considered independent, please choose one of the follow options.

Limited Access to Clifton Robinson Tower
Financial Aid, Student Accounts and One Stop (first floor) are open to walk-in visitors, however we encourage students to reach us via phone, contact us form or virtual office visit while a construction project occurs at the Clifton Robinson Tower. Parking is very limited. More information about how to contact us can be found here.