Tips for Winning a Scholarship
Below are a few suggestions when applying for outside scholarships.
- Be organized! Take note of the deadlines and add them to your calendar. Leave yourself enough time to complete the application and submit all required documents.
- Ensure you qualify for the scholarship. If you don't meet the scholarship's criteria, don't apply for that particular award.
- Identify what the scholarship is looking for in a recipient and mold your application to reflect how you represent this. Be personal and personable!
- When creating a scholarship essay, write about specific examples of achievement(s) rather than generic aspirational statements and highlight data such as grade improvements over time. Also explain why attending college would help reach specific goals.
- Apply for less competitive scholarships (e.g., local or community-based awards), which increase your odds of being selected.
- For additional tips visit finaid.org/scholarships.